1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Strong to Texas ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 3, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Given the rest the column if you pick out that sentence you're looking to troll.

"Strong is no Briles, who knows the state’s recruiting landscape. But all a UT head coach really needs is a burnt orange golf shirt and Google Maps, right?

Comparisons with Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin unfortunately may be unavoidable. But please don’t go there — a coach is a coach. The idea of an African-American head football coach at Texas is long due.

As for the Sumlin comparisons, Strong’s résumé stands on its own, with a conference title and a 23-3 mark over the past two seasons and a BCS bowl victory.

Yet, there’s little sizzle in hiring a guy who just finished second in the former Big East. Where’s the next Nick Saban? Where’s the ooh and the ahh?"

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/05/5460979/strong-coach-but-not-so-sizzling.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Wouldn't consider Bowling Green - about an hour directly north of Nashville on I-65 - the foothills of Kentucky. WKU is a badly named school. Not Western Kentucky - more south central than anything considering Louisville is three hours to the north and no one calls Louisville a western Kentucky city - and not many hills. Pretty flat part of the state.

Might was well say Lexington is in the valleys of Appalachia as well.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I assume his confusion arose because of the nickname.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is it much different than Florida poaching Utah to bring in Meyer? At the time he'd been a HC 4 years.

You go get the hot coach wherever he is. Miami went and got Golden because he turned Temple into a winner.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's just alluding to the fact that Baylor and Vanderbilt (and, to a lesser extent, Louisville) are now "players" in college football. Baylor nearly got booted from the Big XII a decade ago. Vandy was a place for moral victories until five years ago although, if I was Franklin, I'd probably look to make that jump to a brand school before the SEC East returns to the mean (Florida, Georgia and Tennessee being in the national conversation again).

6. Songbird

Good point, to an extent. Louisville has been a player of sorts for a long time.

Been to a bowl game 13 of the last 15 seasons, and if you take out Kragthorpe's record (15-21), Louisville has gone 119-45 under Smith, Petrino and Strong.

But about Vandy and Baylor you're right.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

WKU is trying to change its image. School has sent out releases (and the info might be listed on website and media guides) about wanting to be called WKU and not Western Kentucky. If the mascot wasn't so popular, school would probably change nickname, too. Wouldn't surprise me if school is working on a way to change nickname but keep the Big Red mascot.

Kind of like USF/South Florida. Tries to go by USF as much as possible. But not really south considering Miami is four hours south.

The school in the "foothills of Kentucky" is closer to spring break mecca Panama City Beach (525 miles, 8:30 drive) than Miami is (589, 9 hour drive).

8. Songbird

USF sounds weak. South Florida is more authoritative.

WKY sounds weak, too. You're Western Kentucky.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Hi, we're Western Kentucky. Please don't call us Western Kentucky."

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Charlie Strong's also not very clean...see Teddy Bridgewater's mysterious decommit from Miami as just one of many examples.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I suppose that I "meant" that Louisville isn't as much of a surprise as Baylor and Vanderbilt. Louisville has been strong for many years. Baylor & Vandy were grease fires.

As for the Western Kentucky geography lesson, I've learned more about Bowling Green than I ever imagined.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What D 1 coach is. While we're at it let's give a share of blame for
    Aaron Hernandez also.

Draft saved Draft deleted