1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Strong to Texas ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Yep. I did. Had moved away from my hometown and college alma mater for another job and eventually grad school. With a kid on the way, the time came to move back home. My interview consisted of me sending an email to a buddy at my alma mater. "Can I work for you?" His reply: "Yes." That was it.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What makes you think he's lying? I know a lot of lying goes on, but I never once thought Saban was ready to leave Alabama.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Strong met with Jurich and the U of L president tonight and told them he's leaving.

No shocker.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You've obviously never followed Saban in the past. While no one should assume he's lying, if you really believe he's telling us the truth, then your naivete knows no bounds.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Saban may not want to "start over" but I imagine being the Alabama coach is suffocating in some ways. Dealing with their crazy fans who you probably don't respect but have to tolerate would get old in a hurry.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As opposed to somewhere like Texas, where you've got big-mouthed boosters running around trying to find your replacement without even giving a half-assed effort to cover their tracks.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Every big program has their loony boosters. Yet some cities like Los Angeles (and even Austin) already have celebrities in town. You can be the USC coach (or even Texas) and not feel the glare every time you're in public like you probably do at every university in the SEC not named Vanderbilt or Kentucky.

In Tusky, it's all Nick Saban and that's it.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought Texas would hire Saban just to prove that it could hire Saban.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Texas has as many batshit crazy fans as Alabama. What sets UT apart though is that many of them are millionaires or billionaires and the head coach has to kiss their ass on a regular basis. The idea that Texas is less of a pressure cooker than Bama is one of the dumber things I've seen around here in awhile.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

'Bama fan base seems to be a bit more "rough around the edges" than
    the UT fan base.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I bet Gil LeBreton would like one line from this column back:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/05/5460979/strong-coach-but-not-so-sizzling.html?rh=1

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Egads.

Draft saved Draft deleted