1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Pierce Leaves Globe For Esquire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think Pierce can do virtually anything he wants right now too — cover politics for Esquire, write sports for Grantland, do a sports show and be a panelist on a silly game show on NPR.

Simmons is doing a lot, all in sports. Pierce is doing a lot too, but it's more varied.

Maybe the question is whether you'd want to be like Simmons and stick to sports or like Pierce and be free to write about damn-near anything that interests you?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WAIT WAIT DON'T TELL ME IS NOT SILLY!

3. So Simmons is Dane Cook and Pierce is Louis CK?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it is. And that's not a bad thing.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Carl Kasell does not approve of this characterization.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

God, I'm gonna miss those Globe 10.0 videos with Ryan and Pierce together. Like a bunch of Shakespearean clowns.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

So, to some of you guys, actual writing -- how someone uses words, the craft of writing -- isn't really in the discussion, it's who has the more viable "brand" moving forward?

Boy, I'm glad I'm old.
    I didn't grow up aspiring to be a media conglomerate, I grew up wanting to write.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, this is totally a young man thing. Like that young Ashtabula Star-Beacon sports writer Vince Doria.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, at least we all get to say "He's [psychosocial descriptor] based on [inscrutable anecdote]."

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

To me, the great thing about both Pierce's and Simmons' successes is that it proves you two very different people can be extremely successful in this business.

The one thing both men share is passion. You can tell both Pierce and Simmons love what they do. They work hard, come up with interesting ideas and really pour a lot of thought and energy into their work. People may not like Simmons' stuff or Pierce's politics, but you cannot deny how much they clearly care about their stuff.

I don't believe anyone can be successful without passion.

Other than that, they are totally different. Pierce is "old school," Simmons "new school." Pierce pours his heart into deep-rooted political/societal/personal issues, often with a slant, but always written beautifully. He thinks everything he does is of the utmost importance.

Simmons is all about the NBA, the Karate Kid and the Red Sox. But it's funny, very personal and it connects. His NBA book was excellent. A lot of fans see themselves in him. That kind of connection is critical with readers today.

The fact Pierce wouldn't be caught dead doing to what Simmons does is immaterial. It just shows that you can be different and still be successful. In a business with a lot of people trying to succeed and survive, that's a great message.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Elliotte, that was a great post. I agree, except about the part that Simmons' book was any good. I mean, I know it wasn't a BAD book -- I just hated it. History should be accurate, not impressionism.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you forget about the all the mistakes I guess you could term Simmons book "excellent"

Draft saved Draft deleted