1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Pierce hits a home run on John Edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 21, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I oppose steaming piles of horseshit disguised as thought whether the origin is from the left, right or center.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Ooh, that's a Charles Pierce-quality retort there. NICE.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Slate, Esquire, NPR, etc. He's everywhere.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I won't say that all Democrats are open minded and that all Republicans are close minded. Hell, I won't even say that I'm wholly open minded.

But I certainly consider myself a helluva lot more open minded than the Republicans I meet on a daily basis. Many are:
    * Intolerant of homosexuality, even though it doesn't directly affect them.
    * Intolerant of those who support the commander in chief, even though they refused to support Clinton.
    * Intolerant of those who are opposed to the war, even though they nor their children are willing to wear the uniform.
    * Intolerant of anyone who does not share their specific faith (I'm deep in Southern Baptist country here).

Am I intolerant? Guilty, on the following counts:
    * Intolerant of people who hate others solely because of their sexuality, even though it doesn't affect them.
    * Intolerant of people who believe it's about your religion rather than your faith and spirituality.
    * Intolerant of people who use their faith, their church or the Bible to further their own beliefs, then decry others who do the same.
    * Intolerant of people who think I'm not permitted to have different socio- and political beliefs than them, especially after I served nearly a decade in the military so everyone could believe what they want.

Does my intolerance make logical sense? Nope. Of course, last I checked, there's no law that says I have to, either.
    But my intolerance is a lot less hateful and exclusive than that of the people around me.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you wear Teva's or Birks?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You'll have to explain, Boom. I'm afraid I don't understand the reference. What are Tevas?

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

That's the best you could do? If you're going to be an asshole, at least come up with something original. Give it another try, and steer clear of using "Volvo," "granola" or "latte."

By the way, tell your little "Democrat, Republican or Southerner" joke to noted leftist Pat Tillman. Oh wait, he died for a country that proceeded to betray him.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boom, please tell me that my legit and non-insulting post wasn't fodder for you to make an ignorant joke. Please. I mean, is that really what you're hoping to accomplish here?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Alley to be honest I thought your post reeked of typical liberal holier than though arrongance.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So that justified the implied homosexuality reference?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And holier than thou? How the hell could you read holier than thou into my beliefs? It's the holier than thou attitude of staunch conservatives in my area that's so prevalent.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I guess I didn't make my point clear. I wasn't talking about people being open-minded, closed-minded, holier-than-thou, not-holier-than-thou, whatever. I was talking about how frustrating it is how some people can't, or won't, participate in a discussion of this war (or other wars) that focuses on the utility of the policy itself. The denial that a non-pacifist opposition to a war exists.

Draft saved Draft deleted