1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie - Get me the number for the Butterball hotline!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 23, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You knew that one had to come up. I never get tired of it. Amazing stuff, the writing and the performance by Sheen.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Ask and ye shall receive.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Thanksgiving reference in the original post is from the first WW I saw and it got me hooked. Great stuff.

I think I've told this before but what they hey: The Queen and I were eating at a mid-level joint in NYC one night. Martin Sheen and a guest, one table over. He was telling her acting stories - we just ate and listened. It was like dining next to President Bartlet.

Seven seasons? I have to check the DVD collection and start from the top.

Best show ever?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"If I cook it inside the turkey, is there a chance I could kill my guests? I'm not saying that's necessarily a deal-breaker."

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And can I just put in another vote for the theme song? One of my absolute favourites. I watched an entire season in one week when I was doing "Sound of Music" and always played the credits so I could hear that music.

Also - Josh? I'd hit that in a heartbeat.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

It's in the discussion, but a few of those seasons post-Sorkin were uneven, to say the least. But at its best? Tough to beat.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"I cann do th bwiefing! I cann even say bwiefing!"

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I thought the last two seasons, with Jimmy Smits (who I really like), were great.

Best network show ever in my book. Second best of all-time behind The Wire.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically the last season-and-a-half was outstanding. The first season and first-half season after Sorkin left (Season 5 and first half of season 6) were pretty crappy.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I got to be there for the filming of scene during one of the first seasons. I didn't watch the show at the time, I had to be there for work and it was a late night shoot. I totally didn't appreciate it at the time. I got to meet Martin Sheen and talk to Josh and Toby. Looking back, it was one of the cooler things I've gotten to do. I'm upset I didn't realize it at the time.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very cool experience.

And yes, I think it was the best ever, even with the rough patches right after Sorkin left. They definitely finished strong. I am still wishing they would pick up where they left off.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

You wanna tempt the wrath of whatever from high atop the thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted