1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Davies (USMNT) seriously injured in car wreck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Oct 13, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, I know this is on page 63 or whatever of the soccer thread, but this is pretty serious. A woman died and this guy's career could be over.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Here's a picture of the back of the car:

[​IMG]

Man, hope he can recover fully from this, physically and emotionally. What a tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

FWIW, the WaPo has backed off the "possibly career-threatening" comment, because the spokesman said he spoke in error. The next line where you "snipped" was this:

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Grant Wahl has been all over this on Twitter.

The whole situation is very sad. The guy was really coming into his own and showing true promise. For this to all happen...

I can't help but wonder if alcohol is involved...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As you guys said on the soccer thread ... 3 a.m. and single-car? I have a hard time believing alcohol's NOT involved.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

USSF is saying that Davies was not the driver.

I feel really terrible for the young woman involved in the accident. I can't imagine what the parents are feeling.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That was a nasty fucking wreck this morning there.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Tired driver is also in the discussion as a long-shot.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Driver was probably texting.

9. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Just throwing out a wild theory here, but it's possible the driver may have swerved to miss a deer. I see them on the side of the GW Parkway all the time, although not usually where this accident happened.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Let's hold off on passing judgment or speculating on the cause. I'd rather go on facts gleaned from an investigation than on something we don't know.

It could be alcohol. It could be driver fatigue. It could be swerving to avoid a deer, a fallen tree or another car. The point is, we don't know. All we know is that a young woman has lost her life and at least one young man is seriously injured.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

We also know that young man broke curfew during a national team training camp, two days before an international match.

I sympathize to an extent with him, but based on the facts we currently know, he was in the car due to a lack of professionalism.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Any word on who the driver is? I can understand holding back the name during the first day so family can be notified, but shouldn't this be on an accident report somewhere by now? Even if it isn't, couldn't a media member find this out with a little bit of work?

Draft saved Draft deleted