1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Daniels suffers (mild) stroke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I love his fucking music. Period. I don't know him, don't know shit about him, don't care who he votes for and or what he believes.
    I love his fucking music.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I love those GEICO commercials. And Charlie Daniels DOES play a mean fiddle.

3. I only brought it up because we used to have fun with his Web site columns.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is on of my favorite Soap Box Posts from Charlie:

Give Me a Redneck

Last night in Montgomery, Alabama we did a concert for the Buckmasters organization. As the name implies, Buckmasters promotes hunting and their convention every year is attended by all kinds of people, but the good ol' boys in their pickup trucks with the rifle racks, the big knobby tires and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. racing decals make up a big part of the attendees.

The streets of Montgomery were teeming with big guys in camo. They were friendly folks, quick to smile and not afraid to render an opinion on anything from their favorite deer rifle to the current presidential election.

If you want to hear some straight talk, go find you a bunch of rednecks. No politically correct, limp-wristed wimps in this bunch. No stilted semantics or pseudo-intellectual diatribes about the war, gas prices or current politics.

They just call 'em like they see 'em. They chop the log and let the pieces fly where they may and whoever happens to be standing in the way is likely to get a mouth full of wood chips. No word-mincing, no high-flying Harvard vernaculars, just plain words from just plain people.

I just wish we had a genuine redneck running for president. It would be wonderful to have just one presidential candidate who didn't try to play both ends against the middle who would come out and say what they really mean.

A redneck wouldn't take any lip off little tin dictators like Hugo Chavez and would stand toe to toe with the likes of Putin and Ahmadimijad and hunt down al-Queda to the last man whatever it took.

A redneck would put America first and not be concerned what the rest of the world thought about it.

A redneck would protect our gun rights and see that laws were passed to make sure child molesters get what they deserve.

He'd build up our military in manpower and technology because he realizes that a strong America is safer America.

A redneck would protect the Constitution and have the guts to stand up to the people who want to take God out of public life in America.

A redneck would wear an American flag pin and hold his hand over his heart when the national anthem was played or the Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

He would drill in ANWR, off the coast and everywhere else we need to drill to end our dependence on foreign oil.

A redneck would make sure that if someone fathers a child that he is forced to support it and respect family values.

And a note to the cherry pickers, lest you start accusing me of being a male chauvinist pig, you can insert she for every place I've said he. There are plenty of redneck ladies out there too.

What do you think?

Pray for our troops

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You think he does his own writing?

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I love Charlie Daniels - wishing him a speedy recovery.

Hearing "The South is Gonna Do It Again" brings me back to ninth grade and JV softball - hearing that song on the bus to the games and all of us singing it at the top of our lungs (even if we were a bunch of Minnesota gals.)

One of my faves, because I can use it when describing my neck of the woods:

If you ever go back into Wooley Swamp well you better not go at night
    There's things out there in the middle of them woods
    That'd make a strong man cry with fright
    Things that crawl and things that fly
    And things that creep around on the ground
    And they say the ghost of Lucias Clay gets up and it walks around.

It may not be Lucias Clay, but I wouldn't doubt there may be a ghost or two in my back woods. ;)

Oh, and the GEICO commercial absolutely rocks.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure he does his own reading.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think it's pretty simple. This board is mostly full of left of center people, who are far less likely to protest someone whose politics they find offensive and just enjoy the music or performance for what it is. Hard to believe, with the poor martyred righties here always crying about their persecution and the intolerance of lefties, but it's true. Google "Toby Keith protest" and "Dixie Chicks protest" for fun. I think Ted Nugent is a jackass hypocrite, but I'll never change the channel when the Damn Yankees or "Cat Scratch Fever" comes on.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I met him once. Spent a couple of hours with him. My uncle (who married into the family) has a sister who worked at his place (I think she was a housekeeper). Knowing I was a huge fan, they arranged lunch. I went to his house -- I might've been 18 -- and he showed me his farm and library and such. I worked on a pretty large farm at the time, so we had enough to talk about. He loved the fact that I was in the National Guard (at the time).

The most comfortable person I've ever met. It was like he was uncle, or something.

I haven't thought about it until now, but since I'm so close to Nashvegas, I should probably see if my uncle's sister could hook us up again.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup.

My grandfather had found out he had some "minor" strokes in a similar manner. He found out from his physician. But given that they were minor, he's really OK.

Then again, having seen enough bad health with other relatives lately, it's quite relative.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

that's awesome. When I was 18, me and my friends knew "Devil....", and loved that song. I was listening to the Pogues

Draft saved Draft deleted