1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Daniels: Give Me a Redneck as President

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess that would be The Dixie Chicks.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Equal time? Hell, this is just another thread where a bunch of bigots talk about how smart they are and how dumb anyone from the South is.

3. I did laugh out loud at the first two sentences, though.

4. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Charlie Daniels is a celebrity. But I guess because he's a "southern celebrity" and not a "Hollywood celebrity," it's OK.

If Hollywood celebrities are mocked because many of them are liberals, I don't see how it's NOT OK to rip southern celebrities because they are conservatives. You can't have it both ways. If Scarlett Johansson and Pam Anderson are dismissed for talking politics, then Toby Keith and Charlie Daniels should be, too.

EDIT: And while I'm here, why doesn't anyone ever want a smart president? Who gives a crap where they went to college? I want a president who is smart, fair and has good judgment, not some "regular guy."

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Kind of a gross oversimplification, is it not?

And if we start paying attention to the political and cultural thoughts and instructions of Charlie Daniels, does that mean we have to start paying heed to those of Barbra Streisand?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I knew you'd show up eventually because the Angry White Man must be heard

Here's dumb AND dangerous:

A redneck would put America first and not be concerned what the rest of the world thought about it.

Because that's exactly what Fredo has been doing for the last eight years and tell me how that's worked out for you. Took your international reputation from an all-time high to an all time low. Failed to catch OBL while getting American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians killed as a result of an illegal invasion of a foreign country.

Jesus there are guys at my local pub who are working class "regular" folk and would probably be classified as rednecks if they happened to be Americans but 90% of them are smarter than this mouth-breather.

7. I'm so sick of your bullshit political posturing. The ACLU does not want religion taken out of society. They want it out of government.
    So did the founding fathers.
    That's why the pilgrims left England, for crying out loud.
    You need a history course -- or to watch/read ANYTHING outside of your echo chamber.

8. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

This entire debate is ridiculous.

There are good people in cities. There are good people in the suburbs. There are good people in rural areas. There are bad people in cities. There are bad people in the suburbs. There are bad people in rurual areas.

There are morality gaps in every part of the country, red states or blue states, cities or hamlets, churches or synagogues. There are people who are wealthy and people who aren't. There are people who are smart and people who aren't. Everyone plays a role. You can't sit around and point fingers. It's pointless and it's stupid.

Nothing will ever be solved by basing everything on demographics.

EDIT: And by the way, I've never lived anywhere but the city, and I'd like to think my family has all of those traits: trust, respect, strong values and principles and great bonds of friendship.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The difference is nobody on this forum goes around using it as a club in some half-assed, jingoistic political diatribe. If you are going to cite it, you best know what the hell you're speaking of.

As for taking care of one's kids, I've got a friend who works Child Protective Services in rural Idaho who can tell you some awesome stories about how well rednecks take care of their "kin." An irresponsible knucklehead's an irresponsible knucklehead no matter their locale.

I honestly think the greatest problem with politics in this country are those who want to set policy via anecdote. It's a big ol' country out there with lots of different issues to be dealt with which is, I suppose, the basic premise behind state's rights. That said, I took Constitutional law as part of my minor and was in WAY over my head.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They left England to worship as they pleased ... not to practice aetheism.

And somewhere, I'm sure some black entertainer said, upon seeing Obama's progress, "sure would nice to have a brother as president." What's the different between that and what Daniels said."

And JR ... you don't get to comment on what's good for America and what isn't. Just stay north of the border and we'll be fine.

11. Hondo, are atheists not Constitutionally protected according to your reading?
    Daniels has the right to say what he said. I just think it's ignorant. I would also call it ignorant if a black man wrote, "We need a brother in the White House because he'd pop a cap in bin Laden's ass."

EDIT: Corrected because I copied Hondo's mistake.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Aetheists?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.