1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Coles unleashed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Nov 7, 2010.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That is a great story on Charlie. He is a helluva coach and has produced quite a bit of talent when you think about it (Ira Newble and Wally Szczerbiak in the NBA and Devin Davis should have played in the NBA...was on the Cavs practice roster but just faded away). And he never, ever doesn't answer every single question no matter how bad it is.
    As for Geno Ford, I was covering MAC Basketball when he was running the point at OU. Dude could flat-out stick from distance. Very fun to watch.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Those guys you mentioned were recruited by Herb Sendek, not Coles, if I recall correctly. Anyway, having had the opportunity to cover Coles for a bit, I'd agree that he was a good guy to interview. I do recall there might have been some shady dealings by him at the HS level (at least some accusations), though.

3. KP

KP Active Member

This Bobcat agrees 100%.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Don't quote me but I think Davis was Herb's recruit while Wally World and Newble were Charlie's Coles came to Miami for the 94-95 season and Wally's senior year was 98-99. Newble transferred to Miami for the 95-96 season. Davis got to Oxford in 1993, so he would have been Herb's.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

..."But we're playing against teams with athletes on them. A-t-h-l-e-t-e-s..."

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You know, just for old times' sake, we have to replay Charlie's greatest moment!

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was the knock on him at Seton Hall, which remedied his blandness by hiring Bobby Gonzalez. That worked out well.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Can't recall if Szczerbiak played for Sendek, but Herb definitely recruited him. And Coles' first year at Miami was 1996-97.

Draft saved Draft deleted