1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Coles unleashed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Nov 7, 2010.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Here is reason No. 12,343 why I love Miami (Ohio) men's basketball coach Charlie Coles. The audio clip is fairly long because Keith Dambrot, Lewis Orr and Geno Ford were on the conference call before him, but about 15 minutes in (use the slider to go about a third of the way over) Charlie gives us pure gold. One of the best and underrated basketball coaches in the country. The link to the teleconference is here:

http://mac-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9400&ATCLID=204866081

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I didn't listen, but I don't have to. Charlie Coles is the shit.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amen, brother....

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

That was fairly tame, as far as Charlie's all-time greatest hits go, but still pretty funny — especially the bit about the kid getting injured for the fifth year in a row. ("I'm glad he got that record, because it's about the only record he's going to set.")

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Even as an Ohio grad, I agree. I love Charlie Coles.

He's one of those guys that makes college basketball great.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The few 3 minutes in was pretty amusing. After the host introduces Akron's coach Keith Dambrot, Dambrot is heard in the background saying "it's okay, they can wait 10 fucking seconds."

Priceless.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dambrot has always been a tool.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

And the guy the MAC had running the show...sounded like an intern. I heard that Dambrot blurb as well. Stay classy, Keith. Stay classy. What amazed me wad Geno Ford. After a few coaches that sounded like English was their second language, Ford gets on and actually uses complete sentences and gives the writers plenty to work with. Lewis Orr had all the personality of a turnip, except when he was talking to Elton Alexander from the "Cleveland Plain Deal."

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I could *so* work for the Plain Deal.

10. noodles

noodles Member

Charlie Coles is one of the top five coaches to deal with in college hoops and an A+ individual.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I only interviewed Charlie Coles once, but I will never forget it. He is an unforgettable personality.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Charlie Coles is the man. I once went to a press conference of his after I graduated, just because I was at a game. Grant Wahl wrote this great story on him awhile back:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1027530/index.htm

Geno's a real good dude too. Sick player as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted