1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Cole Didn't Appreciate The Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 18, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Charlie just made my day with that. Absolutely awesome!

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Miami's own game notes refer to Coles as the "Bill Cosby of college basketball" (or at least they used to).

The reporter should have told him to "have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!"

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Entertaining, but hell. That wasn't even vintage Charlie...
    Vintage Charlie would have gone on about how his team plays in the MAC and Kentucky has ath-a-leets on their team...

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

1987 NCAA Tournament. UCLA is getting ready to play Central Michigan (and Dan Majerle) in the first-round game in Salt Lake City.
    Nobody covering UCLA had ever heard of Charlie Coles. Five minutes into the first news conference, everybody suddenly became a Charlie Coles fan and hoped the Chippewas would succeed so there would be another two days of verbal gems from their coach.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This year's UK team has far more future NBA talent than anything Tubby ever put on the floor, and probably more than any team in the country this year. They've got the No. 1 pick in this year's draft, another lottery pick, and at least two other potential first rounders this year. There's absolutely no comparison, talent wise, between this team and the one that lost to Gardner Webb a couple years ago.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I assume all is well with his ticker?

Way back when he had Wally S., I covered a VCU loss out there. Sonny Smith had a great line after the game: "Not only did the fucker beat me, he's funnier than me, too."

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Looks like a redneck.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Since you opened the door for Sonny Smith, here's my favorite Sonny story:

When he was an assistant coach at William & Mary in the late 60s, they were on the road somewhere (I forget where, exactly) absolutely getting their ass kicked. There was a guy seated right behind their bench heckling them the whole time.

The fan kept repeating the line, "I see Mary, but where's William? I see Mary, but where's William?"

Finally, Sonny had had enough. He turned to the guy and said, "He's at home, fuckin' your mother."

Naturally, played had stopped for an out-of-bounds play just as Sonny's f-bomb hit the air. The entire gym-full of people drew in a collective breath of shock, as Sonny looked for a place to hide..

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, Tubby's first team was so devoid of talent it won the national title.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You have an 18-point lead, you better win the game. No excuses. "Future NBA talent" blah blah blah.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, Charlie's heart is OK... one of the straightest shooters you'll ever meet.

His son, Chris, hit a 58-footer to win the Michigan Class B final at the buzzer in like 1985 -- boring ass game until that shot...

Draft saved Draft deleted