1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charleston the latest to get hit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

http://charleston.net/news/2008/jul/21/post_and_courier_employees_offered_buyouts/

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The sports section is the best part of this paper, IMO.

Pretty much everywhere else, you see reader comments blaming the paper's troubles on liberal bias, and here you see readers claiming conservative bias. We were on vake there during the 2004 DNC and had to buy the Columbia paper, which had twice as much coverage every day. Really liked reading Burger and Sapakoff whenever we've been in town, though.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Lots of friends at that shop. A couple could be obvious choices for buyouts.
    Bad news.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Met Berger one year at The Masters, and a couple of folks whom I hold in high regard hold Mr. Berger in equally lofty esteem.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Charleston was my first (and only other) stop in this business. Learned a LOT there.

That's the truth. We used to call the daily budget meetings "Battleship Row" because of all the former Navy people who were, er, running the ship.

Of course, I was there in the middle of the Reagan administration.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I grew up in Charleston, and a big reason why I got into this business was reading Ken Berger, Gene Sapakoff and a host of others in the sports section. I imagine some of the veterans will take the buyout since they're close to retirement, and much like The State newspaper losing Bob Spear and Jim McLaurin, distinct voices will be lost forever.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's becoming more the norm than anything.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's Burger, not Berger. But the columns I've seen are usually Porterhouse.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

You are correct Frank. After reading him for the last, oh, 15 years, I should have known better.

Draft saved Draft deleted