1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charleston, SC advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2underpar, Jun 17, 2014.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

heading there for a few days in a couple of weeks. Looking for eating, drinking and music advice. I am a big fan of any must-visit dive bars. Can y'all help a brother out?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You're going to have a great time there. We spent three days there two years ago.

You can't go wrong up and down King Street. Burns Alley, King Street Grill, Sermet's Downtown (which has a jazz bar upstairs).

On Meeting Street, there's a really cool place called O'Hara & Flynn where you can just sit, taste wines and eat cheese.

Get down to Market Street, where the Charleston City Market is -- and you won't want to miss that, either -- and there's a unique bar called Henry's House. Three levels, and each one is a different feel.

For food, the area around the market is fabulous. There is a hole-in-the-wall Italian place, like maybe 15 tables, on the right side of the Market toward the water.It was one of the best meals I've had in years. I just can't remember the name. If you are a crab fan, the Charleston Crab House is down there.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All good suggestions. Plenty of great places to eat on King St. and Meeting Street.

I also recommend any sports fan check out The Vault on King Street, which carries vintage sports gear (hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc). Great stuff if you are into that sort of thing.

I had been meaning to look it up to do some online shopping. Here is the website.
    http://www.thevaultcharleston.com/

Just walking around and exploring can be fun. Last time we did that was when we stumbled on to The Vault. We didn't even have a plan where to eat. Just decided we were hungry and found a nearby bar and grill. Was surprised to find out it had Steelers' stuff all over when I got inside. Turns out Ben Roethlisberger is a part owner. Because really, it's such a good idea for him to own a sports bar with his history. :D

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a fancier meal, Husk is amazing. http://www.huskrestaurant.com

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Market Pavilion Hotel has an awesome rooftop bar/restaurant.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Poogan's Porch on 72 Queen Street is a great place to eat.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Love Charleston. When we went, we just touristed it all up and still had a great time.

Lunch at Jestine's Kitchen was great, as was a dinner at Hyman's (though I know that isn't everyone's taste). Did a plantation tour, a walking ghost tour at night, and the carriage tours (the ones with the red sashes around their waist are supposed to be best). Spent a ton of time in the city market and visiting with people. There's a breakfast spot that I think I had recommended to me on here that is on the main street in the heart of downtown, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Tiny, tiny place, but a ridiculously good breakfast.

The desk person at our hotel recommended this place for a dinner on the night we arrived, and it was phenomenal. Great fresh seafood, unbelievable atmosphere right on the water, and they make a bloody mary with jalapeno-infused vodka that I've had a craving for ever since.

http://www.fleetlanding.net/

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fleet Landing is very good.

Hyman's a tourist trap. Go to Hank's instead.

Oak is a great experience for a fantastic steak and a pricier meal. Cocktail Club on King Street is a cool place to hang. Indaco and the Macintosh are both excellent restaurants. Basil (across from Cocktail Club) is one of my favorite Thai places around. They have locations in downtown Charlotte and Columbia as well. Can't go wrong with anything there. The Bellemont is a very cool place to wind down. Was the only place I've ever had a Pappy Van Winkle.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Had great meals at Carolina's on Exchange St and Magnolias on E. Bay and Lodge Alley.

If I had money I'd retire to Charleston.

10. 35in44

35in44 Member

Husk. That's really all.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have never been to South Carolina, but for some reason I have always thought I would like living in Charleston.

Similarly, I have never been to Savannah, GA, but I've always thought I would like living there.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If you head over to Patriot Point and tour the maritime museum with the USS Yorktown and other ships, I recommend the Trawler Restaurant on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. Fort Moultrie is over there too, so you can see where the first shot of the Civil War was fired from instead of what was on the receiving end out in the harbor, Fort Sumter.

Shit. Googling the Trawler and sounds like it went bankrupt. Shit. There are other restaurants in that Shem Creek vicinity.

Draft saved Draft deleted