1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charleston, S.C.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hate-Miser2, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

Mrs. Miser and I are taking a no-kids trip next week, when we'll be spending 2 days in Charleston. Never been there, but we'll be in the region for a wedding and decided that would be a decent spot to hang out.

Other than the McGangBang, what are the must-see parts of Charleston? We're staying right in the middle of the historic district, and we want to do at least one of those Ghost Tour things at night. Other than that, we're completely open. I figure there will be some seafood taken down hard at meal time, but what else?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

1- Go visit Miguel Starks in the lock up.

2 - Take the carriage ride around the historic district to frame things up for you. ( seriously) . I usually hate the carriage ride thing but this one is worth while because they have great tour guides that have a great history of the city.

3. mb

mb Active Member

I'll make it quick. Teh Google can fill in the blanks.

1. The Battery/White Point Gardens: The tip of the peninsula. You pretty much have to go. Same for Rainbow Row.
    2. Waterfront Park (Charleston): Try to get lucky and snag a swing.
    3. If you're a little adventurous, walk the Ravenel Bridge. Park in Mount Pleasant at the new park. It's about a mile to the top. Spectacular view of Charleston and Mount Pleasant.
    4. Waterfront Memorial Park (Mount Pleasant): Only about a year old. Nice park to kill an hour or so.
    5. You pretty much have to try some mustard-based BBQ. Melvin's in Mount P or Bessinger's in Charleston. Same family.
    6. The restaurants downtown are pretty kickass. If you don't want to spend a lot, try Hyman's. Locals consider it a tourist trap, but they've got a great shrimp and grits. If you're looking for a little hole-in-the-wall-type Southern place that the locals LOVE, go to Jestine's. Be warned: The line can stretch around the building if you get there at the wrong time. Two great out-of-the-way seafood places are The Wreck and Seewee Restaurant.

I'm sure more stuff will come to me later. Feel free to PM with any questions.

4. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

Thanks for the tips. I got the Fodor's book on Charleston, and we immediately picked up on Jestine's Kitchen. That's exactly what we're looking for. We're in the Midwest, so good southern food, grits and Carolina BBQ is perfect.

Plus I'm sure we'll do the carriage ride thing (thanks, Boom). My wife was talking about doing that, but I was a little on the fence. But it sounds like it's worth it. I'm sure we'll hang around the shops in the historic district a lot (heard a ton about the basket makers). Plus the places like the Old Slave Mart Museum and the Old City Market look like they have a ton of history.

What about the plantations? Middleton Place and Drayton Hall look real cool, but they appear to be quite a ways from the historic district. We'll have a car, but if they are a good haul out, that could waste a good part of a full day. Are those places worth it?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There aren't many ways to go wrong in Charleston. My folks moved to Mount Pleasant when I was in college; I wish they had done so years earlier so I could have called it home.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Charleston was the last place I was stationed in the military and I loved it. It was two of the best years of my life. Best place besides my hometown I've ever lived.

Patriots Point, which is where the USS Yorktown is berthed, is a great place to go. They've got plenty of ships over there to look at.
    Go to the Citadel's campus and check out the cadet review, Friday, I think. Always impressive. Even more so if you read "The Lords of Discipline" by Citadel grad and great Southern writer Pat Conroy.
    The aquarium there is nice as well.
    And no one mentioned the CSS Hunley! It's amazing to see the hulk of that old submarine and the artifacts recovered from it. Haven't seen it yet and I will be making a trip up there again when my old ship gets decommissioned in 2011 or 2012. I left in 1998.
    Also, Fort Sumter is a must-see. Take a harbor cruise out there and you won't regret it. Ditto for Fort Moultrie, one of the best preserved Civil War-era forts in this country. That one is on Sullivan's Island an easy car ride from Mt. Pleasant.
    The history there is everywhere, from beautiful old homes to the cemeteries, which are fascinating.

I miss strolling along the Battery and walking downtown. I miss spending a weekend at a friend's beachhouse on Isle of Palms or Sullivans Island.

There's not a prettier downtown in America. The carriage ride around downtown is a must!

PM me for more questions.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I second this.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If you run into Post and Courier columnist Gene Sapakoff, tell him HI for me.
    Thanks.

9. mb

mb Active Member

If you're interested in Jestine's, I'll suggest Joseph's Restaurant. It's the mustardwife's favorite place downtown to do breakfast. Suggestion: One of you get the blueberry pancakes and the other get an omelette. Cut 'em in half and share.

http://www.josephsofcharleston.com/

/and, yeah, trying to hit some not-so-obvious stuff, I left out the forts. You'll definitely want to do one or all of those.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One thing you need to do from time to time in the historic district is remind the folks that the war is over and the North won.

There is an Irish Pub who's name escapes me that is right downtown. They poured a very nice Guinness.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Charleston is the absolute best trip on my beat ... love getting to go down there.

Even if you don't take the ghost tours, just walking around at night and taking in all of the old churches, buildings and art galleries will while a way a couple of hours. I'm a seafood nut, but I haven't tried Hyman's, because as mb mentioned, it's considered a tourist trap. I've eaten at A.W. Shucks a couple of times and at the Charleston Crab House. Those also might be considered tourist traps for all I know, but the seafood casserole and she-crab soup at Shucks are fantastic. Had a great time at the crab house. Sat at the bar, met one of the vendors from across the street at the market. We b.s.ed for much of the night and then we stayed after the bar closed with the staff and had a few pops. Considering I was in on business by myself, it was pretty cool. Also found a pretty tight bar down on Broad Street, the Blind Tiger Pub. Good crowd and vibe there. Met a few cool folks. Lots of other cool restaurants/nightspots on E. Bay Street.

Man, I want to go back.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Though I should add Myrtle Beach is a pretty good trip too, because of the hospitality. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted