1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Woodson cut by Packers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This one deserves it's own thread.

Future Hall of Famer...

He's old, but I'm still surprised by the move and by the timing...

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't find a thing surprising about this. He's an injury-prone 37-year-old cornerback who was going to make $10 million, and the rookie who replaced him in the lineup this year tied for fifth in the league in interceptions.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who will Jay Cutler throw to now?

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm not surprised he's not coming back. I'm just surprised it was done in a "Hey, let's bury the headline by doing this late on a Friday" way...

I probably shouldn't be...

5. LongTimeListener

I see him shaping up as a pretty good ballhawk on a late-career switch a la Rod Woodson. Maybe he and Harbaugh can swap Michigan stories as the 49ers decide not to pay Goldson. They had no playmakers in the secondary last year.

6. Mizzougrad96

You don't think the Niners will sign Goldson?

It will be interesting to see who would pursue Woodson. Teams could do worse. While Woodson has lost a step or two over the years, he makes up for it with his instincts... I could see the Niners giving him a shot.

7. LongTimeListener

By the shape of things Goldson is expected to be pretty expensive. There is some thought out here that cutting Alex may not be enough to get them into range for Goldson. I also think Goldson has gotten too in love with the big hit and was pretty questionable in coverage -- sure looked to me like on a lot of those deep balls in the playoffs, corners were handing their man off to him but he wasn't there.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I just don't see him getting back the things that made him great just two or three years ago. Once it's gone at a certain age, it doesn't come back. He can still be in great shape for a 37-year-old, but that won't make him what he was. And he's already far enough away from what he was just two years ago that he might not even be serviceable.

Would have been nice to give him a nice send-off, but they have press conferences when a guy retires first, not when a team decides to cut a guy. Just the way it is.

9. Mizzougrad96

I could see that line of thinking... I won't be devastated if they let him walk...

I'm going to be very curious how they handle Smith. I'd love to see them get something for him, but I don't know how realistic that is.

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Woodson has become really slow. He can not cover anyone. Add in that he has broken the same collarbone twice in the last year and a half and I think his days as a plus player are done. I wish he would just retire but he seems to want to play some more. Good luck, as he and Green Bay turned out to be a great match.

11. Mizzougrad96

I remember thinking it was a terrible signing when he went to GB. Safe to say I was wrong. :)

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Unless he's been a fool with his money, he should ring chase somewhere for the league minimum (which for a vet with his tenure is probably $1 million). Throw in some incentives and he could make out fine.

Be interested to see if Champ Bailey is next. He probably should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted