1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Widmore? Nice to meet you. - Lost 1/28

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My two favorite 'holy shit' moments: 1. End of season 1, when the Others (who we didn't know who they were at the time) kidnap Walt and blowup the raft. 2. Jack and Kate's first flash forward at the airport.

One new possibility I got from tonight's show. Maybe if somebody tells someone about the future, like Locke telling Alpert his birthdate, that causes a time travel. Right after he told Alpert, Locke knew he was going to get moved.

And who was that woman in the coma that Desmond saw at Faraday's mother's house?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I assume that was the woman in the picture with Farraday that Desmond found, the one who looked like the woman with the gun on the island, and presumably an old girlfriend who he convinced to let him do a time travel experiment on. He botched it.
    Very good episode (except for the Hurley stuff, he's beginning to get annoying). Any episode with heavy Desmond is a good episode. I really hope they don't kill him.
    Afterward, I was trying to figure out the dynamics of Alpert, Widmore, the Dharma folks, and Ben. Alpert and Widmore clearly don't (didn't) get along all that well. Alpert was fighting Dharma when we first met him (via Ben flashbacks). Is Widmore connected to Dharma?

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Hurley was in this episode?

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Whoops. My bad. I watched the second episode from last week and then this week's back to back. It must have been "last week" that Hurley bored me.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"We have to go back" is the greatest holy shit moment in TV history. I will not argue this. Never before has a show that popular risked everything like that.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of Hurley. I identify with him. I don't know what the hell is going on and I stick with it because I don't know what else to do but hope the show works itself out.
    Really they've got, what 35 episodes left in the series and they're making it more confusing adding additional dimensions to the plot? This might be the only artistic enterprise that introduces a deux a machina to complicate a plot rather than resolve one.
    I'm almost close to V-fib, they're losing me, they're losing me...

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OK, this is what I'm going to love about this show from here on -- the whole chicken and the egg debate. In the clip for next week, they showed a light in the jungle. It was when they first blew open the hatch. That means that these people were on the island, in some form or fashion, since the beginning of the show. So how much of their misery in the early seasons did they cause to themselves? How much have the handful of survivors influenced the events we've seen on the island?
    We've already seen Locke playing around with his own history by sending Alpert to visit him as a child. How many of the others Alpert has visited over the course of the show were sent there by themselves?
    By the time it's over, we may even find out that the Losties caused their own plane crash.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One quick question about Widmore...I started trying to look at his uniform about halfway through the show. Never did get a good look, but did his name patch say "Jones"? Or was that the guy whose neck he snapped?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What I always enjoyed most about the show is how the relationships formed after the crash, the creation of a new society and seeing the interactions as you had these disparate people trying to figure out their place in their new "world," how they came to be on that plane and what brought them all to that point in time.
    Since they've gone off into the mythology and made it more about the island, I haven't been as interested.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Easily the best moment of television I've ever seen.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"We have to go BACK!!!" knocked me out of my seat every bit as much as Locutus of Borg shocked my 15-year-old self 19 years ago.

At the time, I thought they were revealing that WAY too early. I was dead wrong. It completely changed the show's entire game.

Also: Widmore's uniform did say Jones.

And another person from the past died tonight, the soldier Widmore killed. I wonder if the show will provide an explanation as to Faraday saying "You can't change the past!" while the past people they interact with seem to be quite killable.

I had thought that Faraday meant that they were looking at, for lack of a better term, read-only copies of the past. But I'm pretty sure that what he really meant was that they shouldn't try, because it would just screw up everything. Still, offing young Widmore might have been nice.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

i thought that they were probably the army duds of the 18 that they killed.

Draft saved Draft deleted