1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Tillman: Hall of Famer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No question mark needed. Discuss.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a hall of famer. ... But he had a really good career.

There were too many higher profile DBs playing at the same time, starting with Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson. So I don't think he will get anything except cursory consideration.

Really good player, though. Opportunistic and had a knack for stripping the football.

4. Mr. Sunshine

All of two were better so that disqualified him? And he was more consistent from start to finish than Bailey. Also, ask the best WR of his generation what it was like lining up against Tillman.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how did you feel when you watched him?

6. Mr. Sunshine

You don't want to go there. :)

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One of my favorite players of all time. I did get irate with him once, however, when at a game I attended he kept a Tampa Bay drive going with a silly unsportsmanlike. Tampa then marches down the field and scores the game-winner. He more than made up for it.

Tweener and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

unfortunately DBs and OL get a lot of Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame consideration based unduly on reputation, fame and people's unwillingness to look deeper. A two-time Pro Bowler and one-time All-Pro like Tillman has no shot at making the HOF, however unfair that is.

9. The Big Ragu

I am not disqualifying him. I just know that he has zero percent chance of making the Hall of Fame. It's realism. And it isn't just Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey. He'll be compared to Darrell Revis and Richard Sherman, too, when he is up.

And that doesn't even consider all of the other positions that will have players getting consideration, because the HOF is ridiculously difficult to get into and cornerback isn't particularly well represented. There are something like 15 cornerbacks in the Hall of Fame -- covering the last 60 + years. A guy like Deion Sanders gets in. Or someone like Darrell Green. Charles Tillman is not an all-time great, and just from the years Tillman was active, there are corners who will get way more consideration. Which is why I think it should be left at him having had a good career. Ty Law can't even get to the list of finalists. Charles Tillman is not getting very far when he is up. But I don't think you really need me to break it to you.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Boooooooo!

11. The Big Ragu

You're going to absolutely hate me when I point out that when Brian Urlacher's name comes up in a few years, Ray Lewis will be in his first year of eligibility too.

12. Mr. Sunshine

I follow football a bit. I'm aware. I think they'll both make it on the first ballot.

Draft saved Draft deleted