1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Rangle kills Democratic Party before the party begins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The days of a civilian army protecting this country's interests are way gone.

2. As someone on Keith Olbermann's Countdown said tonight, the last time Rangel proposed this the Democrats were in the minority and it got two votes. Now that they're in the majority, it would probably get three votes.
    The draft, which I am old enough to have faced but was spared from, is gone, thank God.
    A poll taken early in the Iraq war showed that fewer than half of the parents surveyed would want their children in the military. Considering the course Bush's insanity has taken since then, that number has to be through the floor.
    Anna Quindlen wrote this in a 2004 column: "If my brothers had been drafted, my father, a Korean War vet, would have sadly sent them off to basic training. Today he'd buy his grandkids a one-way ticket to Toronto."
    All politics is local, as Tip O'Neill used to say, and Rangel was playing to his constituency.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

God knows I'd hate the thought of any of my family members actually going through a draft. But at the same time, I like this idea.

While I don't think it's easy for a president to declare war, I do think it's a helluva lot less taxing when he doesn't have to consider the well-being of his own sons/daughters/loved ones. Same thing for every member of Congress.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As if the existence of a draft really would have deterred any congressman or senator from voting for a war. Just shows that there are suckers everywhere.
    What Rather reported in 2004 was not entirely without merit. CCR sang about it in, what, 69 or 70? "I ain't no senator's son." You have a draft, and they'll still find places to hide all the privileged kids. And we'll be left with an amateur army.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is ALL spin.

McCain is calling for more troops, fully knowing (barring a couple more major terror shots on US
    soil) he'll never get them. . . .

. . . so he can sing, "If we'd had more troops, we could've gotten it done", ad infinitum.

Spare me.

Draft saved Draft deleted