1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Pierce signs on as SI contributor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Apr 20, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He is awful on that show. Defaults to a lefty point of view on every issue, misrepresents the facts to serve his purpose, and not nearly as funny as the host seems to think he is.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So, basically, just like almost any show on Fox News?

SteveRomano13 likes this.
  3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Sounds exactly like Skip Bayless except for the lefty point of view. I haven't been on the board long enough to know, but has there been a Skip Bayless thread? What is everybody's thoughts on First Take? I am 29, and I see younger journalists trying to emulate the show and just scream and make stupid points just for web clicks. Would much rather have overwriting than videos of people screaming at each other.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I am to the point where I simply can't watch it. I enjoyed the show when Woody Paige and Bayless were the guys. They had a good chemistry and balanced each other out pretty well. Still didn't watch all that often, but it was far better than the current screechfest. In fact, I am very nearly to the point that I can't watch ESPN at all. The late-night SportsCenter with Buccigross/Verrett is grating as hell, among many others. I could probably count on one hand the people I currently like on that network.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I can't think of many off the top of mu head, but I would go out on a limb and say there have been MANY Bayless threads round these parts.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have idolized Pierce since he was a columnist for the National. But I agree that Pierce can be the Skip Bayless of the left. His Esquire blog is shrill and if I did not agree with most of it I would hate it for being unfair. It is my guilty pleasure.

But Pierce has a lot more talent than Bayless. When he writes on sports in a relatively objective manner I think he is really good. Who was a better writer at Grantland? I think he was the best of a very talented staff.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

By Skip himself?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the question, but studthug could keep himself busy for a while if he just did a search of the various discussions we've had here.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

On those threads was Skip a participant?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

As far as I know he has not been a poster here. But for all I know, he is you. Wait ....

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I always find ways to keep myself busy...

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wasn't a shot at you. Just an indication of how many Bayless discussions we've had here.

Draft saved Draft deleted