1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Pierce On 40th Anniv of PC Run at Final Four

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Would have been interesting if Rubio had played college, if the coach would have been okay with his passing. He really is the heir to the Maravich/Ernie D/Magic family of passers, but I just had an image of him playing for Bo Ryan and felt ill.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ryan would have had Rubio cleaning up towels in the locker room. He'd never set foot on the court.

Of course Ernie D wouldn't get to throw all those behind-the-backers if he had a guy hip-checking and sumo-wrestling him the instant he crossed half-court, either.

If mid-1970s refs were magically transported into 2013, you'd see four-hour games with 100 free throw attempts.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In every one of the layups on the video, the defender held back after he was beat -- rather than clobbering the shooter, as is the tradition these days.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No question. Wasn't Barnes on the Braves too, albeit briefly? Or maybe he was part of the Tiny Archibald deal?
    IIRC, Moses Malone played a couple of games for Buffalo.

Ah, the Buffalo Braves.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Crazy thing is Portland drafted Malone in the ABA dispersal draft, then traded him to Buffalo for a first-rounder before the season. Then Buffalo traded him to Houston for two first-rounders.

Why did both teams give up on him?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I do think Marvin Barnes played briefly for the Braves. Not sure why the Braves traded him, I think they had some roster issues.

Potentially great franchise done in by horrible ownership, co-inciding with the decline of the industrial Northeast and several brutal winters that just killed attendance.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good question. Would the Blazers already have had Walton? Suffice to say, ABA and NBA, Malone's career was a long and winding road.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, too bad it didn't work out. I also remember Van Miller saying the team had a good following in Toronto.

The whole John Y. Brown/Irv Levin??? franchise swap is a fascinating story.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yes, Portland had both Walton and Maurice Lucas at that point.

Malone lasted a week in Buffalo and played SIX MINUTES for the Braves. Why did they give up on him? Because he wanted playing time, they had McAdoo at center, and they could cash in by flipping Malone to Houston. McAdoo was gone less than two months later, packaged with Tom McMillen for John Gianelli and a Brinks truck full of money ($3 million). John freaking Gianelli.

Notice a trend?

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The John Y. obsession with McAdoo ticked Auerbach off so much he almost took Sonny Werblin's offer to run the Knicks. Then, Red fleeced Vitale. Fortunately for Detroit fans, McCloskey arrived.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the parts I've seen of the NC State 30 for 30. That was a few years before I was old enough to really watch hoops, so it was pretty fresh to me. My main reaction (well, aside from "Virginia folded in big games even then") was "Did anyone challenge jumpers back then?"

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As a 10-year-old, I saw plenty of 72-73 Friars games at the then-brand spanking new Dunk (Dad was an alum). The amazing things about that team: Gavitt ran, ran and ran with what was basically a six-man team, and he confused the hell out of opponents with the constantly switching defenses - don't understand why more coaches today don't do it).
    Does UCLA beat a healthy Barnes and PC in the final? Probably. I stayed up late to see their regular season matchup (PC's other regular season loss was also on the Left Coast a month earlier, to Santa Clara at the Cable Car Classic). Does Walton shoot 21-for-22 from the field against Barnes? Hell no.
    I remember reading awhile back that Barnes and Walton became friends over the years, and played some in Walton's driveway before his back went out.

Draft saved Draft deleted