1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Pierce On 40th Anniv of PC Run at Final Four

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good story in Grantland by Charles Pierce on the '73 run to Final Four by Providence.
    Complete with nice link to video of some amazing Ernie D passes.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9053929/providence-college-big-east

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sets the tone with a Black 47 quote. Have to give him credit for that.

I wonder if Pierce went and saw them open for Dropkick Murphys at the Garden on Friday night.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Those passes are incredible. Too bad Ernie D hurt his knee in the NBA.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He could have sung "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced" with them... :D

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My dad and I made a special trip into the Aud to see Providence play when Ernie D was a sophomore. He was absolutely brilliant. Of course, being a counter-culture poseur at the time, I cheered for Nehru King instead.

DiGregorio was great for the Braves too, pre-injury.

6. Boom_70

Have heard the story before on Marvin Barnes but always fun to read it again:

"To mention only one of his problems, he was probably the world's worst criminal; once, he tried to stick up a city bus while wearing his personalized high school championship jacket. "

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ehhhh, the Barnes story is just a variation of the Reggie Harding story:

Harding, a 7-0 high school All-American in Detroit, walks into his neighborhood liquor store with a stocking pulled over his head and pulls a gun on the clerk.

"Come on, Reggie, I know that's you."

"Nah, it ain't me. Now hand over the money."

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Reggie Harding and Marvin Barnes stories are some of the best parts of Terry Pluto's "Loose Balls" ABA history. And, of course, it includes the oft-told tale of Barnes refusing to board a flight in Louisville at 8 a.m. set to arrive in St. Louis in 7:56 a.m. (because of the time change) because "I ain't goin' on no time machine."

I didn't realize Barnes was a drug kingpin in his ABA days.

http://www.aolnews.com/2009/12/11/bad-news-always-made-headlines/

9. Boom_70

"Nevertheless, Maryland led at the half by a hilarious 51-50, only to have Providence, behind DiGregorio, come flying out of the intermission, running up a quick 12-point lead. As it happened, Ernie fouled out with 13 minutes left, and Stacom and Barnes were left to run out the 103-89 final. (And, yes, children, college teams once scored like that with some regularity.)"

In the current game where coaches want to control every possession you don't see many 103 - 89 college games.

Funny how pace of college football has picked up and pace of college basketball has slowed down.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Meh, Jeff MacGregor wrote much better.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Can you imagine what any college basketball coach would do today if a guy threw a behind-the-back pass to set up a shot with 29 seconds left on the shot clock?

The clipboard would end up in a second-level luxury box.

12. Boom_70

And the player would be sitting on far end of the bench.

When was the last time you saw a behind the back pass from half court to a player cutting down the lane for a layup between 2 defenders?

Draft saved Draft deleted