1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Apple got "canned" Wednesday?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Charles Apple got fired?

Does this mean problems for SNT?

3. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

Re: Charles Apple got "canned" today?

It doesn't say he got laid off. It just says he got "canned."

I took it to mean he was fired.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hope not BYH. That project could be the savior of sports writing. Plus he said he got canned. Perhaps he screwed up.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

He left Norfolk for this, didn't he? That couldn't have been that long ago.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

if we're waiting for this ill-conceived project to become the "savior of sports writing" then sports writing is in worse shape than I thought.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Cran, what don't you like about the project?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The magazine, improved as it may be editorially, will never occupy more than a small niche and the Web product shouldn't be trying to disguise itself as something other than a Web product by stubbornly refusing to utilize the graphic and informational dexterity of the Web. It's a clumsy attempt to invent a newspaper-Web site hybrid that fails miserably because it provides the advantages of neither. I hope it succeeds but I'll be very surprised if it does.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I disagree -- I think it provides the advantages of both. It provides the one-stop-shopping quality of a print product (i.e., I can spend some time with it and get a solid overview of what's going on in the world of sports) with the easy/cheap distribution of the Internet tubes.

10. harbinger

harbinger Member

There are two half-page ads today, three house ads, and how many weeks/months are they into this already? How is SNT making any money?

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Doesn't necessarily have to -- just not lose money. Projects in their infancy are usually operating with a budget for a specific amount of time, with the funds assumed to be lost until it gets off the ground.
    And don't forget distribution probably takes 15 minutes of someone's time, no publishing costs.

12. harbinger

harbinger Member

Understood. But how long has it been up and running? Shouldn't it be showing some marketability by now? How could it not be losing major money given the staff it hired and the number of ads running daily?

Draft saved Draft deleted