1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charging for obits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sporting_guista, Jan 10, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

yep, that is what our management says: it's part of classified advertising.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not here, thank you.

A standard obit runs free, beyond a certain length it's a paid deal.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It might go. Some of the things that people want are odd.

Up until about the mid-80s, my old hometown paper (about 45K) printed the patient admissions/discharges provided by local hospitals. They only dropped it because the hospitals decided to stop providing the information.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Our local dailies still do, for the area hospitals that make that info public. (Some people do appreciate visitors and get-well cards.) When filling out admissions forms at those hospitals, patients are asked whether or not they want their name included.

To be honest, I'm not sure about our policy on obits, because I've never had to deal with them before now. Guess I'll find out soon.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Our paper charges a fortune. When my dad died last year, I wrote a tribute to him with a photo, maybe 1/8 of the page. I got half-price because I'm an employee, and it was nearly $1700.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

...and name it "The Doornail"

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ours stopped doing that years ago. Seems that many of those people found their houses had been burgled in their absence.

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

It might scream weekly, but I don't understand why we don't run birth announcements. Obviously for a fee.

You're telling me people would buy the shit out of them?

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

We do. But I've never understood why no birth stuff. Proud parents and grandparents will shell out cash.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Same reason funeral directors started omitting street addresses from obits. Thieves would check on when visitation and services were and figure there was an empty house ripe to be hit. Sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted