1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charging for obits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sporting_guista, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Question: Do your papers charge for obits? My mom's aunt died and the local rag wanted $370 for a six-inch obit and pic; minimum is $195/four inches.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yes. And when my mom died last year we had to run it in three or four papers because she had lived in a few different places for a while. I was stunned by how much it cost. I knew we charged something for them, but the prices were obscene.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

we charge by the word, and occasionally we cut off funeral homes that don't pay. i think if you work here, you get the half-price rate.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Yup. We started charging about a year ago and haven't seen a drop in obits, so I guess it was a smart move on the paper's part.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Charging for obits is not a recent development at a lot of papers.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Someone should start an all-obit newspaper.

7. redsox99

redsox99 Member

We charge nothing for the standard obit. But if the family wants it in their own wording, they pay for it. And most funeral homes add an obit fee regardless of if the papers charge or not.

8. I thought this was std practice now redsox, thanks. guess not tho.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

yep, our paper charges for obits. started the trend, oh, probably six or seven years ago. i have never agreed with it, but such is the way many papers have gone. damn, one can't even pass away without having to pay somebody for the deed.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most places a death notice is free. The obit is paid.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Obits are considered part of classified advertising now, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted