1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charging for a special section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And people can get the AP stories on line for free. Why should they pay for something they can get for free in other place?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You don't charge for the pickle.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can get OUR stories online for free.

We have an Olympics section coming out that day, too - staff produced except for some excellent AP graphics - and we're not charging extra for it. Customers agree to a price for a product. You don't suddenly slip in an extra anything, even if it is only a buck, without a heads up. Dealing with that right now with one of my service providers. You're going to ding me some more? Give me some notice and a chance to opt out please. Or lose a customer.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We just figured you'd want that rustproofing.

At my final paper, management got the bright idea to not insert the Progress section into subscriber copies, so that those folks would pick up an extra from the rack. It actually wasn't a half bad section, but I doubt they made enough to cover a value meal.

Draft saved Draft deleted