1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charging for a special section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting tidbit on Raleigh's plans.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/07/05/news-observer-charges-a-buck-for-olympics-preview/

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT is some bullshit.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd cancel my subscription immediately. That's bullshit.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Wow...way to piss off the readers who are loyal to you. Stupid move.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless there's some legitimate local content in the section (not just writers spewing their opinion), why would anyone want to pay for a section of wire copy?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bush league.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If it's totally separate from the subscription, like a $1 special section you can buy at the newsstand, I have no problem with it. I'm not so sure that isn't the way to handle your football tabs ... as a magazine-like entity separate from the daily paper.

If you stick a little note in there that says, "Oh, by the way, you're paying an extra $1 on your home delivery this week because we're forcing something on you which you may not want" ... well, yeah, that's chickenshit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

How much OT will their phone bank rack up processing subscription cancellations one week and restart requests the next?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't believe today's world has as many restart requests as maybe 10-15 years or more ago.

This is just bad business. You don't stick it to your customers like this without warning, forcing a fee or charge on them, for something many probably don't want or wouldn't have noticed.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Miami and Kansas City had charged extra for their Thanksgiving (Black Friday ad bonanza) editions.

Must be a McClatchy thing.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You cancel . . . and you tell them precisely why, at length.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In that case, a college hoops preview should be a $20 add-on. Right, Raleigh?

Draft saved Draft deleted