1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charges Against Blackwater Dismissed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 31, 2009.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

More of your bullshit straw men, YF? You can do better than that. Come on.

If these Blackwater guys were such a swell bunch of fellas, why did the Iraqis revoke their license and try to ban them from operating in their country?

You going to tell me every member of the military is a perfect, upstanding citizen? The overwhelming majority of them are, to be sure.

But there are rogues there just as there are here. You should have seen some of the winners they were giving waivers to back in 2007 when they were desperate to fill the flagging recruiting quotas.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I believe Blackwater scouts and selects for trigger-happy cowboys, and anyone who exits the armed forces with his sense of fairness and justice intact need not apply.

And knowing how the Justice Department became Cheney's personal plaything, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "prosecutors" tainted the investigation intentionally. Anyone who has even watched an episode of L&O knows all that evidence would be disallowed.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now why would they do that?

Blackwater pays/paid very well. They were able to recruit Marine & special forces veterans. They didn't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

And how many of those protected by Blackwater complained about their service? They protected State Department employees & visiting dignitaries -- including members of Congress. I think most of those protected were very grateful for their service.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone they were assigned to protect was killed on their watch.

Sounds like a pretty good record to me.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about "scraping the bottom of the barrel." Blackwater doesn't think that is the bottom of the barrel. They want the stone-cold killers who won't get all touchy-feely on them down the line. That's what the whole company is built on, and the people they protect fit the profile. The attorney who is fighting on behalf of Guantanamo detainees, you will notice he hasn't been offered a job in Blackwater's legal department since Rove drummed him out.

5. fishhack2009

Probably because they knew Cheney and his henchmen had their back if they screwed up.

Answer me this, YF: If Blackwater did nothing wrong and is such a great success story, why did they fire most of their upper management and change their name?

6. YankeeFan

Because they lost their government contracts because the very people they protected dropped them like a hot potato when some bad publicity came their way.

So they needed to reinvent themselves. I don't see anything unusual about that.

7. YankeeFan

Wouldn't there have been a lot more incidents and a lot more dead if this was the case?

They operated in a war zone, under very difficult circumstances, for a long time.

There really weren't that many problems.

8. fishhack2009

I see. So it's the big bad librul media's fault. Got it. Thanks. That explains the name change. What about the management shakeup?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can answer this one. No, we're not. First thing Monday morning I get the unwanted task of kicking one of my soldiers out of the Army for getting a DUI over the holidays. So, no, we're not perfect.

10. fishhack2009

I'm guessing the Iraqi government might disagree with you.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm guessing your guesses are in the 0-for-1000 range.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, O_T. That's your correct election predictions ratio.

Draft saved Draft deleted