1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charcoal grilling questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, May 3, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Propane tank. :)

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You might be right, but it doesn't feel that way to me. I miss the charcoal.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I still keep charcoal (and my old Weber kettle) for things like brisket, which just aren't the same with gas. Everything else gets cooked with Sweet Lady Propane.

As to the original question, it should be fine in the house if it's not the match-light kind. I'd put it in a plastic trash bag or something, just to keep the dust down.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I am far and away a better cook indoors than out. That said, I use Match-Light. I learned a hard lesson the other day, while using a generic pre-soaked brand.

My "grill" is actually the firebox for my smoker, and that sometimes causes temperature problems.

My advice is probably not the best in this area.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Use smoke pellets... I used Jack Daniels in a foil pouch and works very well thank you.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know, but it was good for giggles again

7. three_bags_full

You wanna talk about a decline in civility on SJ? Keep coming back to this thread, then. One of the worst arguments I've witnessed around here (and I guess I'm somewhat of an old timer) was on a thread exactly like this one.

Thanks, slappy. :)

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I started out with charcoal barbecues.

Since then I've had two gas grills and quite honestly, I can't tell the difference between charcoal and gas.

And I remember the thread Three Bags is referring to. That was BRUTAL.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I tried dumping some wood into a smoker box and putting it on our gas grill - didn't work so well. When I put it on top, it wouldn't get hot enough to ignite; when I pulled the grate off and put it on the flavorizers (or whatever the hell they are), it lit up like a Christmas tree (even though it had been soaked in beer for a good hour).

Any ideas on how to set up the pouch (I'm sure Slappy has one or several)?

10. three_bags_full

I've heard just wrapping them in foil (with water) and punching the top works, but I've never tried it.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that last thread was fun. not really.

but i can play nice.

i have both. i grill about 2-3 times a week year-round (i live in south florida).

i usually use gas on weekdays for the obvious reason that it takes less time to get the grill ready. i'm not entirely sure that in a blind taste test that i could differentiate between a steak cooked on the weber and one cooked on my propane char-broil but as someone who grills a lot - and sometimes cooks up elaborate stuff on the grill, charcoal grilling just feels more right.

one tip for stretch: if you're thinking survivalist, it takes a while to boil water on a charcoal grill so you might want to get a gas grill with a side burner, then keep 3-4 full propane tanks on hand. use 'em regularly. each time one is empty, you'll have a stand-by. just remember to swap out your empties often enough that you always have 2-3 on hand.

12. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Great tip Leo. I'll probably get some extra Rhino tanks to keep on hand...but I also want to be prepared if/when the propane pipeline dries up.

Draft saved Draft deleted