1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charcoal grilling questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, May 3, 2007.

1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

#1. When it comes to grilling with charcoal, is it better to go with lumps or briquettes? Does anybody have any brand recommendations?

#2. It is recommended to store your charcoal in dry, cool places. Is there any reason why you couldn't store charcoal indoors? Obviously you never want to burn it indoors, but I haven't found any info on whether or not it is safe to store the stuff indoors.

My garage isn't insulated so it heats up pretty good in the summertime. I have a nice, cool downstairs storage room that would be perfect...if it is safe.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A Whooooole lotta lumps...

[​IMG]

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Your garage would be fine, unless you're planning on storing it for a LOOOOONG time. If you're buying small bags and going through them relatively quickly, you won't have any problem.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Gas BBQ/Grill. End of problem. :)

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Taste the meat, not the heat.

[​IMG]

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The solution is worse than the problem.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Or you could just boil the meat indoors.

Webber 22-inch kettle grill. Cheapest charcoal you can find. Start it in a chimney with newspaper (try that with a blog). Don't use lighter fluid. Throw a stick of oak, apple, hickory or whatever you please for more flavor.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask three bags fulll... he's the charcoal wizard around here...

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We use gas now because we aren't allowed to use charcoal here. I grill all year and the stores tend to stop selling charcoal after Labor Day. Last place we lived, I'd stock up, making a few trips to the hardware store and keep about two dozen huge bags in the basement. Unless you're buying the stuff that already has lighter fluid in it, I don't see the problem.

10. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

What would a LOOOOONG time be?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the "charcoal is better than gas" argument is hooey.

12. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

I'm looking at having some charcoal on hand in case the big one hits (I live on the Wasatch fault line).

So it's not a question of gas vs. charcoal...it's a question of cooking during a natural disaster. And I'm pretty sure the propane lines won't be functioning within normal parameters after such an event ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted