1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chappelle Show best battle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

SCTV > SNL.

It is hard to compare eras but the way I judge it is that after watching Chappelle I bought the DVD as soon as I could. I don't know if there DVD of SCTV although I try to post the Queen Haters from Mel's Rock Pile on here whenever I can work it in :)

ETA: agree on mediums as well, live TV obviously has way more constraints.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The best Chapelle stuff would never see the light of day on SNL. While the comparison is true, it's not exactly fair.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just think it's remarkable that he turned out enough memorable bits in a relatively short time -- two full seasons and part of a third -- to fill a 64-entry bracket.

Of all of them, I think I'll remember Wayne Brady longest of all.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Also, Saturday Night Live's one-black-cast-member policy would make things trickier.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Indeed.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Imagine how much better SNL would be/could be if Lorne would walk away from it and let someone who wasn't pushing 70 decide what does and doesn't get on the air?

A huge part of Chappelle's success is due to how much freedom he and Brennan had to try anything.

7. turski7

turski7 Member

She just threw her titty in my hand, you honor. It was really weird.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was 33 when Chapelle's show premiered, and I didn't know anyone who wasn't watching it within two weeks.
    I don't think anyone was sleeping on it.

It was a great show. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was better than 'SNL.'
    The difference in the amount of material is huge. The live performance/produced material is a huge difference, too.

Plus I think you have to account for recency. WuTang Financial and Mad Real World are funny 10 years later, but they probably won't be funny 20 years from now. That's what you looking at with some of the first decade of 'SNL.'

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What about Mad Real World will seem dated? I can see the Wu-Tang Financial thing because it already is a little dated with the reference to Ol' Dirty Bastard.

I wouldn't say Chappelle's Show was better or greater than Saturday Night Live, but I do think it was more consistent, and I connected with it much more.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd go this far. Chappelle accomplished more in his 2 1/2 years, especially with no repertory cast to speak of, than SNL did in any 2 1/2-year period of its existence -- even the first 2 1/2 years.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People watching Mad Real World 20 years from now won't have 'The Real World' as a touchstone.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's made it 21 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted