1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chappelle Show best battle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Time Haters was Django Unchained before Django Unchained was Django Unchained.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I've always been a big fan of the Making the Band skit.

"Who are the top five rappers of all time? Think about it...Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, and Dylan. Because I spit hot fire."

"If I had my way, I'd never work. I'd just stay home all day, watch Scarface 50 times, eat a turkey sandwich, and have sex all fucking day. Then I'd dress up like a clown and surprise kids at schools. Then I'd take a dump in the back of a movie theater, and just wait until somebody sat in it. Hear it squish. That's funny to me. Then I'd paint, and read, and play violin. I'd climb the mountains, and sing the songs that I like to sing. But I don't got that kind of time..."

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dylan's "rap" had me in fucking hysterics. A rum-pum-PUM! A rum-pum-TING!

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Beretta did that shit.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

God, there are so many amazing skits. The Making the Band riffing Puffy does is amazing. "I want you to go up town, get me some breast milk from a Cambodian immigrant, a set of left handed golf clubs and a sugar cookie."

"What you just gonna sit there and use up all your anytime minutes? This look like anytime to you? You just gonna sit there and do your taxes? Is that what's hot on the street?"

In 2.4 seasons, Chappelle destroyed 10 years of SNL.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

"They are breaking their necks to give this money right back to us."

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wow. That was a total oversight on my part. My list is updated.

I also decided after watching both again (along with about a dozen other sketches) that I have to put Black White Supremacist above Tyrone Biggums on Fear Factor. Black White Supremacist was a rare kind of brilliance.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It was 2.25 seasons. And those seasons were 12 episodes long. But yes, they definitely were much, much better than the past 10 years of Saturday Night Live.

I'm invariably going to piss off every member over 40 and many over 30 when I say this, but fuck it: Chappelle's Show's 25 half-hour episodes almost assuredly produced more elite-level sketches than any 50-episode run of SNL, which means six times more air time. And yes, I've seen plenty of SNL from every era.

I'm curious: Did anyone talk about Chappelle's Show here back in 2003 and 2004? It seems as though a lot of people were late to the party, as was true of a ton of great TV back then before online reviews became so popular. I watched it from the premiere on, but Dave Chappelle was one of my two or three favorite standup comedians before the show aired, and I watched a lot of Comedy Central as a teen.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Only thing from SNL that I can come up with that should even be in the discussion is some of the Eddie Murphy stuff. Other than that, yeah. Chappelle's Show absolutely pummels SNL.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

FWIW I am over 40 and I would say that any single season of Chappelle is far greater than any single season of SNL. I realize that turning out 90 minutes vs 30 minutes per week is a bigger task but would put the the best 5 hours of Dave vs the best 5 hours of SNL.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your Canadianity means you need to compare it to SCTV.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that sentence even as I was posting it, whether it's fair. Are they really the same mediums? Yes, both are sketch comedy, and I have little doubt that Chappelle and Neal Brennan would have done great stuff had they teamed up on SNL. But, it's a little different when you can shoot and reshoot stuff until its perfect. Some of the Chappelle Show skits would work as SNL skits, but not many. Or at least they'd be way different. They were really creative with the way scenes were shot on Chappelle. Think about the whole Rick James stuff, how it occurs in three different locations with Charlie Murphy's voice overs helping build the tension and fill in the exposition. That would be a lot harder to do in a live scene with one take.

In terms of what's funny and what's endured I don't know that it's even a comparison. But I'm not sure it's a fair fight. SNL is a pretty unique medium. Which isn't to say it couldn't be way funnier. It's just difficult to compare them straight up.

Draft saved Draft deleted