1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chappelle shatters comedy club endurance record

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Well, first of all, that's a shame. I have never heard someone use that word toward another person. I do hear it occasionally in jokes and private conversation, and I make it clear that I don't stand for that.
    But I think my point still stands. First, I don't think that word would roll off people's tongues as much if they didn't hear it all the time in rap songs, standup, etc.
    Secondly, I seriously doubt having someone call you that made it mean less because it's a word that is often used by people like Chappelle (who I find hilarious and have no problems with).

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

This is what you got to understand about me. I'm really torn with this word which is why I don't use it. Would I be really mad if Chappelle stopped using it in his skits? No, I think he's just fine without it.
    I just don't agree that a white guy saying it is the same as a black guy saying it.

3. I agree that, in our society, it isn't the same. However, it should be. That's a ridiculous double standard. That's why nobody should say it.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

UPDATE: He did it again :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071204/ap_en_tv/people_dave_chappelle

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. - Dave Chappelle has broken his own Laugh Factory endurance record.

The 34-year-old comedian topped his record of six hours and seven minutes, set in mid-April, by taking to the stage Sunday and telling jokes for six hours and 12 minutes.

"Dave was determined to keep his record because he recently heard that Dane Cook was planning on trying to break (his) record," club owner Jamie Masada said Monday.

Masada said Cook held a record of three hours and 50 minutes in early April. The mark had stood at two hours and 41 minutes, set by Richard Pryor in 1980.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That doesn't surprise me. Once he gets "done" with his routine, he stands on stage and just talks with the audience, which spreads to more stories and jokes. He's great live. If you haven't seen him, I suggest you do.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather be dragged naked by a horse across an astroturf field littered with broken glass and Tobasco sauce than listen to Dane Cook try to tell jokes for six-plus hours.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I want to see some interviews with audience members. Did any of them sit through the whole thing? Was it worth it?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I get tired of Cook after about a half-hour. I like his movies, but his stand-up is too in-you-face for my liking.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hopefully they didn't have plans afterward. Chappelle is very entertaining, but I think I'd be hoping he'd stop soon so I could eat, leave or take a shit somewhere after an hour and a half.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Update: Dane Cook has topped Chappelle's record :eek: :mad:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-01-03-dane-cook_N.htm

In what is becoming a heated battle between the two comedians, Cook told jokes at the Sunset Strip comedy club for 7 hours, beating the record Chappelle, 34, set at 6 hours and 12 minutes in December.

Cook went on stage Tuesday and continued until nearly 7 a.m. Wednesday, and at one point even sent out for food to keep the audience fed and happy.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

With their mouths full of food, Cook then had an excuse for why he couldn't hear any laughter.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, but can you truly be a comedian if you've never been funny? Sweet Jeebus, Dane Cook is a no-talent ass clown.

Draft saved Draft deleted