1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chappelle shatters comedy club endurance record

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Why whould you question his integrity? I just told you what he said.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

because when the outcry over Imus calms down, Chappelle is going to go right back doing what he has been -- using the N-word, calling women bitches -- and it will fly under the radar.
    But it's OK, because of the color of his skin, to use the N-word... it's bullshit, and so is he for saying he'll "try" not to use it to make money, instead of just stopping...

3. Chuck~Taylor

Again, do some research about the guy.
    The guy turned down a $50 million contract because he thought what he was doing was wrong and that he was being forced by people to keep putting out stuff that he didn't want to do.

Again, the n word coming out of a white guy is not the same thing.

4. Did anybody else notice his quote in the story (either Yahoo or AP)?

Something about how white people own everything and he wants to get away from it.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Yeah, because in his other inteviews, he explained how racism in hollywood played a role in why he wanted to leave.
    Again, when reading that quote, you get an idea in your mind that the guy dosn't know what he's talking about.
    You guys should really watch his inteview with James Lipton.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So it can go into mainstream society as an acceptable usage for some, but when others use it, it's wrong.
    Hmmm, nooo, that's double standard. Its wrong in every usage by anyone. And that's what intelligent white and black people were trying to say last week; it's part of the overall problem. Sorry you chose not to listen.

7. Chuck~Taylor

It's in the meaning slappy.
    The term is used to offend dark skinned people. You really think it's that easy?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's an unacceptable word, Chuck. Period. It should be used by no one. No, I don't think it's that easy, but why do you insist on making it so hard? You seem like a bright guy. Why can't you be one to say, "I will not use the word, I will not patronize and defend it's use in any circumstance."
    Why are you accepting a double standard as the standard?

9. Chuck~Taylor

Oh I don't use the word.
    I just think that a white guy saying isn't the same as if a black guy is saying it. It's just the way it is.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You should be pissed as hell when ANYONE uses it... white, black, serious or joking. You should be pissed because it's just as degrading when blacks use it to blacks. And until you are pissed when anyone uses it, you shouldn't be offended.
    Why is it OK for Dave Chappelle to use it in a comedy routine or Snoop to use it in a rap song, but when whites repeat it -- it's wrong? Answer: Because it isn't OK -- ever. And you can't condemn someone for using a word that, while you might not use, find acceptable under circumstances that happen to fit in a neat little box labeled "Exceptions to the rule."
    Condoning it for one group and not another is just as racist.

11. Chuck~Taylor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signifying

12. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

slappy, in case you missed it the first time....

Draft saved Draft deleted