1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chappelle shatters comedy club endurance record

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 18, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, he still used the word after saying he wouldn't.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If he needs to use the word to make a point about an issue, what's the deal here. He's talking about Michael Richards and the fact that there's a fine now if you say the "N" word on stage at the Comedy Store. How can he do that without saying it?

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly.

And by the way Slappy, the guy who co-wrote Chappelle's Show with Chappelle was white.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I've got my thinking cap on now. Hmmm. Dave Chappelle uses the "n" word. Hmmm. This is so tough...

What would BWB do? By George, I've got it!

Who CAIRZ? CRAM IT, LOOSERS!!!

(Just in time; my head was starting to hurt.)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All I'm saying is that he said he wouldn't use it in his act, then he used it in his act.
    He didn't have to use the Michael Richards bit, or come up with another word -- audiences are smart. They would have known what he meant.

But after saying he wouldn't use it, he did. Your hero's a fucking hypocrite, Chuck, talking out of both sides of his bank account. I won't use the word, it's wrong, but people come to see me and expect me to use it. So I will...

6. Six hours? That had to be an example of better comedy through chemistry.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I said to myself I wouldn't post on this thread again, and here I am doing it. So I guess that makes me nobody's hero, and a f**king hypocrite.

Look, slapster, I won't quarrel with your opinion, it belongs to you. But I take my cue from my son, who's eclectic in his friendships and works in a highly integrated environment. (He's one of the integrators, in fact.)

Here's how it goes:
    Don't use the "n" word.
    Don't tolerate the use of the "n" word.
    Except when someone who's black uses it; then, never mind.

Try it, you'll like it.

(OK, there are exceptions, but when you start taking Dave Chappelle seriously, well, you're being too serious.)

And if I post again on this thread, I truly am a f**king hypocrite.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not into double standards... it's wrong in all uses, all times, all people regardless of color.
    Chappelle shouldnt get a free pass after he said he wouldnt use it. Period.

And after his 180 turn, you're right -- dont take Dave Chappelle seriously.

9. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

oh just shut the fuck up already.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

He said he'd try not to use it on stage, but he wasn't making any promises that he'd put it out cold turkey.
    Watch his appearence on Inside the Actor's studio with James Lipton.
    Don't question Dave's intelligence without knowing anything. Watch his standups and his interviews. You'll get to see how smart this guy really is.

P.S. A white guy using the n word is not the same. Period. It's in the meaning of the word.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Funny, I don't recall questioning his intelligence. His integrity, yes. But not his intelligence.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd have loved to have seen that Chapelle set. Not so much the 3 hour, 50 minute set Dane Cook unleashed a few days before.

Draft saved Draft deleted