1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chaos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

So, I get up at the ass-crack of dawn yesterday morning to cover 2 baseball games about 3 hours away from here.

Discover that the phone lines in the press box are turned off, and the next phone line is about 200 feet away.......being that I didn't have that much chord, I had to go by cell, and being that my cell is a absolute piece of horseshit (HI, ALLTEL!) the connection kept going in and out.......so, lots of fun had by all........

but, that's not the fun part......

You see, the weather in this neck of the woods had been nothing short of FUCKING HORSESHIT- so, in order to to get all the games in, our team had to play 8 games........in 4 days.......all on the road..........and no game was within 90 miles of the other......

so, we get there yesterday, game time 1:00.......at 1:05, we still have seen no umpires.....apparently, the crew who was scheduled for this game were busy jerking each other off or something, and didn't show...

by this time, our coach is getting a little miffed, and so he should.........so, a decision has been made that the S.I.D at the school we are at is going to do the plate, and one of our esteemed board members who is on here frequently, but whose name will not be mentioned to protect the innocent, will be doing the bases.......

this did not please our coach in the least..........now, keep in mind that both schools are playing for something here, so these games are not just throwaway games.

so, 2:00 comes.......no umpires............Finally, game 1 of the doubleheader that was going to start at 1, starts a little after 3:30.

To make matters worse.........after the game, I somehow get turned around in this wretched hellhole of a town, end up somewhere just inside the gates of hell, drove around for 45 minutes trying to get my directions back..........got home a little after midnight.

Fuckabuncha umpires.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what level of baseball are we talking about? i assume it's college ball since you mention an SID. does the conference sanction games umpired by sports writers and an SID?

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

JUCO.

Conference couldn't give a shit less who umpires the games........which is not good.

It's up to the individual schools who does the games, not the conference.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And who is "we" and "our coach"...are you a writer or do you work for the school?

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Work for the radio station that covers the school

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wah, wah, wah.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just kidding, chef. I had a bad day last week, and, as soon as I got home, I got hammered.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oh yeah? Try spending 12 hours on both Saturday and Sunday covering the NFL draft. Then get back to me.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

No.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that's strange. i guess in all the time i played baseball (h.s. and Division III college), then later covered it, i never once thought about the sanctioning of the umpires but it would seem to me that in order to ensure uniform quality you'd need to have umpires certified by the same organization. but that's just my two cents and that's probably the lawyer in me talking.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Was this guys one of the umps? He's a known Kaos agent.

[​IMG]

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

That makes it OK to be a homer

Draft saved Draft deleted