1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chaos at The Missoulian

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Apr 14, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Didn't see a thread on this, so ...

Matt Bunk — the recently-hired editor of the Missoulian in Missoula, Mont., who replaced a much more experienced (and better-paid) editor at the Lee Enterprises paper — has resigned this week.

Editor of Missoulian, Ravalli Republic resigns

Bunk, who's in his mid-30s, was hired in August to replace longtime editor (and Missoulian employee) Sherry Devlin. She is suing Lee Enterprises and Missoulian publisher Mark Heintzelman, alleging that she was harassed, discriminated against and demoted prior to resigning last year.

Devlin had worked at the paper nearly 30 years, working her way up from reporter to city editor to editor in chief. Bunk was appointed as her replacement after working for a much smaller paper in Libby, Mont. As with most cost-saving corporate decisions, this one caused much grumbling among the worker bees in the newsroom.

Bunk was suspended earlier this month after he violated company policy by carrying a gun at work:

Missoulian editor addresses gun incident, awaits fate

Missoula's a great city, and I've enjoyed reading the Missoulian in the past ... it's been a good paper despite the best/worst efforts of Lee Enterprises. We'll see how this all shakes out.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We can't carry guns in the newsroom?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

guns>pens>swords

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sees nothing wrong with it:

[​IMG]

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's odd that a constitutionally protected right like owning a gun could seem to cause so much trouble.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Lee Enterprises is a train wreck.

I owe a lot to the Missoulian. Sad for the people left that I know there.

Alma likes this.
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Owning a gun didn't cause trouble. Carrying a gun into a business that decided it doesn't want guns on its premises caused trouble. Those are not the same thing, even if people want to think they are.

Alma likes this.
  8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

To be fair, I think everyone in Montana is handed a gun at birth.

JRoyal likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Private business, which is part of the blessed free market, can do with it wants about allowing guns on its private property.

JRoyal likes this.
  10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Well that's a violation of his Second Amendment right to bear arms.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tweener likes this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Next you'll say that exercising your Thomas Jefferson-given right to free speech can get you fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted