1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chantix commercial - biggest set of disclaimers ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 9, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Have you seen these commercials for an anti-smoking drug called Chantix?

The commercial is probably 90 seconds long. The first 30 seconds is a woman describing how great it is she doesn't smoke any more.

The last 60 seconds is describing the side effects: Nausea, headaches, agitation, hostility, depression, suicidal thoughts.

It doesn't stop there: Kidney problems, skin rashes, night terrors!! and I am probably missing some.

For the love of pete... when the disclaimers take up more than half the commercial... its time to rethink your product... or tort reform.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, I've had a few friends use this. One said it worked great and he quit with no side effects, but another buddy said it worked great and he quit smoking until he stopped taking it because it was really making him psycho. Another friend quit taking it because it made him feel crazy.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For some people, though, psycho is an improvement.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Gives me an excuse to post an old New Yorker essay by Steve Martin.

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/social/20060324/msgs/626555.html

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I used to laugh at the commercials with the stick-figure sad guy, ads for a social anxiety drug. Among its disclaimers was the side effects of gaseousness, acne and rashes -- yeah, just the things to make you confident in a social setting!

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My favorite is for Alli, the over-the-counter weight loss pill:

"Patients may experience gas with oily discharge, increased bowel movements, an urgent need to have them and an inability to control them.”

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For those of us with an 11 year old boy, it's best to flip channels away from commercials while watching sports on TV.

Not quite ready to explain about "an erection lasting four hours" :eek:

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think I'll take Chantix's side affects over this.

The Chantix commercial is funny though. It goes on forever. It almost sounds like a spoof, like something SNL would do.

I rewound it and called my girlfriend over one night to watch it because it was so absurd.

And, of course, they play soft, soothing music under the announcer the entire time.

9. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I had a prescription for it once but thought better of it because of all the horror stories I'd heard. Smoking sucks and I may pay big time for this rotten habit. But fuck Chantix.

10. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I guess you probably would lose weight if you're shitting your pants all the time.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Adam Corolla had a pretty memorable rant about this commercial on his podcast this week.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

May cause stigmata in Mexicans.

Holy shit, I haven't laughed that loud and inappropriately for a newsroom in...maybe ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted