1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chant "air ball" ... get kicked out of stands and lectured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Dec 12, 2006.

1. This is SO true. Amazing what will fly at a men's game and then be blown out of proportion at a women's game.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We had a rivalry game here last week. One of the school's student sections wore shirts that said "E'town girls are sofa king fake."

And there was also a fight between two students from said school.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Kids at New Berlin EISENHOWER would take issue with that statement.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Years ago, I covered a conference basketball game between two local schools. The city school's principal loves to win the conference's Sportsmanship Award as much as conference titles. The small town's students were known to be rowdy and loud, even at other gyms like the one in the city.

Small town takes a 20-point lead early in the second quarter. City school player goes to the free throw line and the small town students start stomping their feet, yelling and screaming. City principal marches over and pulls all 50 or so of the visiting small town students out of the stands. He takes them out into the hallway and lectures them about sportsmanship.

While the small towners are getting lectured by the big city principal, small town's basketball team began to unravel, blew the 20-point lead and eventually lost by 5 as the small town students were afraid to make a sound. After the game, the small town coach said losing the student body really affected his team.

The next day, I get a call from the principal griping that I put small town coach's quote in the paper. He proceeds to tell me how making noise when a player is shooting free throws isn't sportsman-like behavior and he won't tolerate it.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

As a Little Leaguer who was subjected to the "He cant hit, he cant hit" chant I cant tell you that the best way to squash the chant is to actually hit. Suck it up and stay after practice to work on your jumper...and quit yer bitchin.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That is the stupidest thing I've read on this thread.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, dealing with that principal was a real hoot. I felt sorry for the kids on the basketball team. They had zero homecourt advantage. When the other team was shooting free throws, it was just as quiet as when the home team was.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

You'd really think a principal would have better things to do than enforce the "rules of sportsmanship" at games which, I'm assuming, are taking place after school.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck NB West. Fuck Eisenhower. Fuck West Allis Hale (if its still around). Fuck WA Central. Fuck Pius. Fuck Brookfield -- Central and East. Fuck Milwaukee Washington. Fuck Milwaukee Juneau. And double fuck Tosa West.

There. That covers most of the west side of Milwaukee and its interior suburbs.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't ... it ceases to exist.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Then I piss on their grave.

Which is ironic, because I took swimming lessons there once upon a time.

12. KP

KP Active Member

I thought for sure this was going to be from Massachusetts.
    MIAA signs posted at all tournament venues.
    No Banners
    No Noisemakers
    No Confetti
    No Taunting
    and a couple other no's.

Draft saved Draft deleted