1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changing your sleep patterns - in a hurry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Jun 28, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

3. Stay up. You'll sleep on the plane.

2. If you absolutely must sleep pick up Tylenol Simply Sleep. It'll help you sleep without completely zonking you out to where you're oblivious to other things (alarm clocks for example). And before you crawl into bed put on a pair of socks. I have trouble sleeping (I wake up every couple of hours) and someone recently recommended I try this. Works like a charm. I've been doing it for about a week and haven't been waking up several times like I generally have.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If you need to sleep, try benadryl. Will also work on motion sickness if you need it. Or, you can do what I travel. Get off work, get on plane and order a couple of Crown Royals and say G'Night.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've tried it both ways: staying awake is a lot easier in the long run than an hour's sleep. At worst, you can get wifey to drive when you get there, since she'll be able to sleep.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

i've been on a ton of 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. flights. don't bother sleeping. it sucks, but the alternatives are worse.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I live very close to my airport... and this timetable would be a pipe dream for me.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You're going on vacation. Catch up on sleep there.

But do something to keep busy before you wake the wife to go to the airport. Do not sit in the recliner and watch TV. Do not lay on the couch and read.

Go outside and pull weeds. Repack the suitcases. Pluck the hairs from your toes with tweezers.

Because this one time, when everything is ready to go and you're pulling the all-nighter, that is when you will fall into the deepest, hardest sleep only to be awakened by "C'mon, it's time to go!" or "OhMyGod! We overslept!"

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

We need to be in the security line no later than 5:30. Which means we need to leave here a little before 5, at the very latest. It'll take us a good 90 minutes to get and get ready; probably more if history is any indication. So, if we feel like pushing our luck, we'll be up at 3:15.

Hustle....pack the car the night before, shower, etc. If you have to leave at 4:45am, there's no need to wake up earlier than 4:15am, 4:30am should be realistic. Get up, splash some water on your face, brush your teeth and go.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Remember, I'm travelling with my wife, who will insist on a shower and the whole nine. If it were just me, that'd be a no-brainer; but we will be starting to pack tonight. All that will be left Saturday is to take the stuff out to the car and go.

I think I'm going to with the nap sequence and stay up through the night, which I believe is what most are suggesting. Hopefully I can get up ass early tomorrow, meaning I'll be more than ready for a nap by Friday afternoon. Of course, then I'm probably just making up for lost sleep and not making inroads toward my current sleep needs...

Dammit, this was a lot easier before I started thinking about it. I'll probably just go with No. 2 and play poker all night. Not quite as fun as SixToe's suggestions, but we live in an apartment, my wife packs everything perfectly the first time, and I rather enjoy my somewhat hairy toes. So poker it is.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, just stay up dude. Listen to George Noory on coast to coast on WMAL and then sleep on the plane.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide, just go with the flow -- however it turns out, relax. I have tried every approach, and eventually I realized the stress of worrying about how much sleep I'd get was worse than the lack of sleep. Why? Because it affected the quality of my sleep and my waking hours too. Pick a plan, and even if it doesn't go exactly on schedule, don't stress. Listen to your body, and don't obsess about it.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I just took a 6 a.m. flight for a vacation last weekend. I got up at 3:45 a.m. after packing the night before to shower and brush my teeth quick for the flight. It took us 25 minutes to get there, with me arriving around 4:15.

I couldn't sleep on the flight, but what I did was just go to bed at midnight and sleep for nearly four hours. It wasn't great, and the events of the day kept me awake until 3 a.m. that day, but the little sleep helped me.

Draft saved Draft deleted