1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in Sports You'd Like to See/Would Make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Jul 8, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wait, what?

Not saying you're wrong, but I've never heard this.

Can you explain or provide a link?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm fine with pass interference being where the foul occured. Otherwise, what's to prevent a defender from hammering all the receivers once they pass 15 yards if that's all they're going to be penalized for?

3. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

I still prefer this to the current rule. If a d-back wants to give up an automatic 15 yds, so be it.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

College basketball:
    1. Because the offense would march down the field in 15-yard increments. That would be a horrible defensive strategy.
    B. If you try to hit me and I slip you ... bone yard.

5. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Amen!

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

College basketball: Get rid of the play-in games for the tournament.

College football: Find a way to ensure there will never be a playoff system.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

MLB: Go back to a 154 game reg season schedule. I don't have a problem with the playoffs, but combined with the season, its too long.

NBA: go back to a best of 5 in the first round. Cut down on the number of off-days. Nothing worse than seeing a "winter sport" playing its finals in June.

NHL: I would also argue the season and playoffs are too long, but the playoffs are much more exciting than in the
    NBA. If anything I would move some of the sunbelt teams up north.

NFL: Cut out one week of the preseason--but don't extend the reg season, just give teams a week off before the season starts. I would also add a couple of spots to the roster.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But the threat of getting caught with a 40-yard penalty makes DBs hold off just a little bit, allowing receivers the edge to be able to catch the ball. If DBs could just hack away on the receivers with only a 15-yard threat, quarterbacks would no longer throw the ball downfield, and the long bomb becomes obsolete.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think so.
    As it stands now, if you get by me and it's smells like house, I have to knock/pull you down.
    Same would hold true w/15-yard rule.
    I'm not arguing in favor of the 15-yard rule. I'm fine with the spot-of-the-foul rule.
    I'm just saying I don't think that change would damage the game.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

What hadn't you heard, about baseball?

The folks in Beachville, Ontario, claim their community was the site of the first recorded baseball game in North America, in 1838. That's one year before the Cooperstown myth. It's also eight years before the first recorded game in the United States, in Hoboken in 1846.

http://www.beachvilledistrictmuseum.ca/baseball.shtml

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/clips/3323/

Of course, the game in Beachville was hardly the first game of its type to be played in North America. What sets it apart is that there is a record of it. :)

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Replace the performance-enhancing rules in all professional sports (but especially bicycling and track) with a system based on drag racing rules.

Create three categories.

Stock: No PE drugs whatsoever.

Modified stock: Minor to moderate PE drugs.

Funny car: Anything you what. Steroids, meth, Atom Bomb in the jock, beer, huffing spraypaint, whatever.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Now that would be a miracle. Seriously.

I'd like MLB to adopt a one-foot in the batter's box rule, and that once you've tightened your batting gloves that's it. No stepping out to tighten them on every pitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted