1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in Sports You'd Like to See/Would Make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

No offence, but the first two of these are not good suggestions.

First of all, fighting does not need to be banned from the game. Period.

Also, when there is a fight, two people are almost always involved. How would you give a power play to one team based on a mutually agreed-upon fight?

A game misconduct and a one-game suspension for a third instance of instigating a fight? Considering that's the same penalty you have suggested for fighting, I don't understand the message you would be trying to send.

Your third suggestion does have merit. All non-coincidental penalties, not just misconducts, should have a punitive effect on an offender's team and they should all be served in their entirety. If that means a team scores four goals on a single two-minute power play, that's the way it is.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

NBA: Start enforcing the rules. Call fouls on the superstars. If they foul out it's their fault. (Or go back to the old days when players had to raise their hands when they got a foul and the do-nothings would always take credit for the superstar's fouls).
    MLB: Speed up the darn game! Go back to pitchers pitching whole games (maybe two relievers per game max?) Move the World Series back to daytime.
    Sports Overall: Reduce the number of teams in every league.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

WTF? The Galarraga game was 1-0 into the eighth inning. The Tigers couldn't have used the challenge in the fifth inning if they thought a call was wrong and killing a possible scoring chance? You're supposed to keep it in your back pocket because you <i>might</i> need it in the ninth?

I don't think you would see many managers playing it that way.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Competent officiating in Pac-10 football and basketball.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NBA: back to backs in the playoffs, only days off are travel days. Four or five officials assigned to each playoff series, and they rotate through. Should improve consistency.
    MLB: Bring back double-headers, end the reg season a week earlier (and see above). One mound conference per pitcher per game (doesn't matter if it is the catcher, an infielder or the manager).
    NFL: Cut preseason to two games and don't make them part of the pre-season package. Fans who can't normally see games because of the price or demand would fill the seats.
    Tennis: Standardized wood rackets.
    NASCAR: Two cars per team max. It would spread out the sponsorship dollars and increase competition.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Baseball -
    Get rid of all replay.
    Either get rid of the playoffs or shorten the season. The season is 162 games as a means of determining the best two teams. If you're going to employ an eight-team playoff, shorten the season.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The risk is on the manager. I wasn't referring to the Galarraga game. I'm referring to calls in which the manager has to decide if they will impact the game, such as a safe/out call at home plate (such as Matt Holliday with the Rockies). If the manager uses the replay option earlier in the game, then that's on him.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

World Cup: No penalty kicks in the elimination rounds. Sudden death after the first 30 minute OT. Play until someone scores.

NASCAR: 150 bonus points for winning a race. These points carry over to the chase. Makes winning races during the year much more important and valuable.

College football and basketball: Pay the players. Share the wealth.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lingerie football: Mandatory postgame kissing.

10. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

NFL:
    Get rid of 2 minute warning, make spiking the ball to stop the clock a penalty, pass interference should be a 15 yard penalty max, get rid of unlimited substitutions and NO penalty should give an automatic first down.

NBA: Get the fuck rid of the fucking 3 point line.

MLB: Use current technology to call balls & strikes, not deaf dumb & blind morbidly obese future dementia ward occupants.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not all of the soccer suggestions were designed to make the game more "exciting" or to satisfy the American blood lust for more scoring.

Penalty kicks are exciting, but many folks think the game should be settled in the same manner the first 120 minutes (including overtime) were played.

My issues with two yellow cards over the course of a couple of games requiring a player to sit out the next game has nothing to do with how 'exciting" soccer is. It has to do with fairness and having the best players on the field (pitch).

I also hope that this thread lets some of the soccer enthusiasts realize that suggesting a rule change doesn't mean we hate your sport as you can see by all of the suggestions for changes in other sports.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

MLB:

Get rid of the DH, or at least make the rule uniform. The differences lead to too many issues from inter-league play to the World Series to the way the game is played.

If you're going to have a wild card, make the first round of the play-offs a best of seven.

No non-travel off days during the a post season series. If a team wants to get by with just three starting pitchers, make them earn it.

Cut the All Star roster. Adding players has just made the game more of a joke. Also, get rid of the rule that every team must have a representative. Let the host team get a guaranteed player.

Oh, and I hate 21's suggestion of uniform dimensions for baseball stadiums.

Draft saved Draft deleted