1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline's never-ending stream of just great news:

For what it's worth, major changes appear to be on the horizon Friday at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The "Currents" section will be reorganized into some kind of special, revenue-generating vehicle with topics including homes, pets, money, etc. The senior editor will become general manager to supervise editorial and advertising.

Long-range sports planning has been put on hold until the announcement. There are concerns about shifts in Sports staff positions from top to bottom and change of beats or the beat structure.

This all comes after layoffs and amid slight rumblings a SD television station might buy the paper.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Any idea which TV station that would be?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The decline of Living/lifestyles (or Currents here) sections in newspapers is sad. I know it's tough to justify employing biweekly takeout writers when so many revenue streams around papers are crumbling, but at so many places those sections were destinations for great storytelling and storytellers. Now they're catch-all crapfests with "news you can use", "community-produced content," etc. Bleech.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Sounds like the Life section will become advertorial. The U-T has struggled to transition after head honcho Copley's death, and the housing market is so soft there that revenues are down. It would take a lot of money to reshape the paper and its Web site, and the Copleys really don't want to spend it.

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

You're not kidding. A small paper I worked at a long time ago had a lifestyle editor and a reporter. They did good stuff. Today, that section is being run by a low-paid clerk/typist who has been there forever. Has the title of "lifestyle coordinator." All they do is run press releases sent in verbatim and, rarely, a feature story that has no meaning to the local area produced by the mother ship. Give me a break.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

we suck

our industry just fucking sucks

7. OwlWithVowel

OwlWithVowel Member

My new goal in journalism is to have the "news you can't use" beat.

8. Dread_Smith

Dread_Smith New Member

As Moddy pointed out in the Baltimore thread, things aren't any safer in the suburbs. Cuts coming at North County Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted