1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I could live to be 100 (unlikely) and never come close to understanding this business.

Saw this tweet:

And I thought, hmm. The current leaders, Larry Graham and Todd Adams, are friends of mine. I had the section in APSE judging a couple of times and thought it had made big strides.

Turns out, they're out.

Don't know Jay Posner, never met him and I'm unfamiliar with his work. This is not meant as a knock on him in any way.

But I'm still a little stunned. The business can deliver kicks to the gut with the best of them.

2. Jay was in sports at the U-T back in the 90s and early 2000s (maybe longer, lost track when I moved away). He is perhaps best known as the reporter whom Ryan Leaf went off on during a locker room meltdown, it was all over TV.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I got to work with Jay when I was an underling at the U-T in the mid-90s, and enjoyed sharing a newsroom with him. They could do a lot worse, though I'll take the Moderator's word on Larry Graham and Todd Adams being good fellows and journalists, and two people who may have gotten a raw deal.

And that little blowup in the Chargers' locker room said more about Leaf than it did about Jay.

4. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Does anybody know how Todd is doing after his heart procedure back in December?

5. Mr. Editor

Mr. Editor New Member

I don't know if this is fair, but people there say they were really good at networking and going to APSE meetings. But as for actually being sports editors and managers? Ask their employees, many of whom are celebrating this news in a very public way, acting like the sun is finally shining through the clouds.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  6. Mr. Editor

Mr. Editor New Member

It's like an outpouring from the reporters there. This is their golf writer.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  7. I don't like to gossip, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that LG was not exactly beloved by his staff. I imagine LG would acknowledge as much, so I don't feel wrong saying it.
    I'm not sure the same was true with TA, but the higher-ups apparently wanted a complete change at the top of the sports department and TA got caught up in it because he was hired by LG.

8. wheels89

wheels89 Member

You can be the nicest guy and greatest networker in APSE. That doesn't make you a good manager or boss.
    I do feel bad for Todd especially in light of the continuing health problems.

9. westcoast1206

westcoast1206 New Member

Ok, let's clear up some things for those who seem baffled by the firings on Friday. This is coming from someone who has intimate knowledge of the day to day operations at the U-T:
    Todd was well-liked as a person by the staff, but though he tried, he couldn't separate himself from the disaster that was LG. Whatever the impressions are out there from meetings in APSE land, the staff didn't like LG from the time he stepped in the door because he was arrogant, showed little regard for other people, had huge gaps in his knowledge of sports, and was arbitrary in his news judgment and dealings with people. What you men and women in APSE saw as results in the section were a few good ideas by the top two and executed on the backs of the good people on staff, who never got the recognition or thanks from LG. He didn't have it in him to praise or share achievements with others. And this feeling was nearly universal for the staff. Even the people that LG hired came to have no respect for him. The staff worked for 3 years to get rid of LG, and thought it might never happen. It came as somewhat of a surprise, but if dancing in the aisles of the department wouldn't have been frowned upon by management, everyone would have been doing so. There is tremendous relief that they are rid of LG and all the bad baggage that came with him. The staff hopes that no one is fooled again to put him in a high-level management position in which he can so adversely affect others people's lives. He needs to sit at a desk somewhere and shuffle copy.
    The staff feels much more disappointment for Todd, who has been through a lot lately with his recent heart surgery. He is considered by most to be a good guy with good ideas. He had his blind spots, but most of the time dealt with the staff respectfully and professionally. He tried hard at times to balance LG's toxicity, but he just couldn't do enough.

cake in the rain likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Todd is one of my favorite guys in the business and I haven't seen much of what they did in San Diego, but he ran a great section in Fayetteville.

12. Long-time reader, finally signed up just to comment on this.

One other piece of the backstory, for those not familiar with it, is that Jay Posner was forced out as sports editor in a particularly weaselly move by management that made more than a few such moves. In addition to being sports editor, he wrote a media column that frequently criticized a sports-talk radio station in that market. The GM of that station was brought in as the newspaper president and CEO by the now-departed owner. Payback ensued.

Draft saved Draft deleted