1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in Memphis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

{Former executive sports editor} Gary Robinson will become the Online News Editor. ... will supervise a team of Web-first reporters from the newsroom and online to getting breaking news online before it hits print.

Sports department reorganization. {Executive News Editor} John Stamm assumes supervisory responsibility for sports. Randy Bruce and Geoff Calkins will be named deputy sports content editors.

2. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Calkins won't be writing? Quite a loss in that regard.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've asked for some clarification on that point - can't believe they don't want him writing.

Maybe he wants to give this a whirl. Or maybe it includes writing.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

It has to involve writing, right? RIGHT? Thats not fair if it doesn;t. To us, not to him, to us.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The CA needs something to spice it up -- but moving Geoff out of a writing spot is NOT it. I sure hope he's still writing stories.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

calkins is fantastic. i hope he continues to write

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's a huge loss if he's not writing. One of the best, in my opinion.

8. geoffcalkins

geoffcalkins New Member

Thanks for the kind words. For good or ill, I'm still writing. John Stamm and Randy Bruce will be doing the heavy lifting. Like any self-respecting hack, I'll second-guess them as much as possible.

9. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

geoff, that's good to hear.

When do these changes happen?

10. Thank goodness Geoff. I thought you were done writing. Your stuff is some of if not the very best out there. Don't ever stop writing! And thanks for clearing up the mis-information that made its way on here.

Now I can at least continue to enjoy my Calkins columns. It's a good day. I wish I had 1/10th the talent you have, but then again, only someone who could leave his Ivy League law degree behind to be a sports columnist has to have a unique perspective on the world around him. I've always thought that put you ahead of the rest because it showed an introspective ability few of us are capable of grasping much less following.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm a HUGE Geoff Calkins fan, but that's still laying it on pretty thick. He is quite talented and perceptive, and he's a terrific guy. So are a lot of people who didn't happen to go the lawyer route.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Your Huckleberry? Or Your Dingleberry?

Just kiddin', bud. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted