1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in Amarillo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll accept that challenge, and finish it in 30 minutes. No fucking doubt.

A buddy works in the Amarillo newsroom. I'll ask him for more details.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If you do eat that 72-ounce steak - - that's 4.5 lbs of beef in case your calculator batteries have run down - - tell your doctor that you are doing a stress test on your Vytorin prescription. By the next morning, your cholesterol and triglyceride levels ought to be in orbit.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Still have to wash down that 72 ounce heart attack with a cold beer at the Rusty Nail.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not really. Just order a bucket o' beer at the Big Texan.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Lot's of people have tried, very few have succeeded. It aint the steak that always gets em. They serve it up with salad and a loaded baked potato...at least they did.

Like pointed out that is 4.5 pounds of beef...the equivelant of 18 of McDonald's quarterpounders...just the meat. With the fixins I think a rough translation would be about 6 quarter punders with the buns and stuff, and 12 patties. Good luck.

There is a high school coach in Texas named Rusty Nail...not sure if he as named after the Amarillo hot spot.

6. Songbird

A buddy at the paper said it was the ASE who was let go.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So would that mean Amarillo sports section is a rudder-less ship right now?

8. Songbird

Don't know, Hank, but what I do know is that:

"I don't like things that elevate me above the other people. I'm just like you. Oh, sure, I come later in the day, I get paid a lot more and I take longer vacations, but I don't like the word 'boss.'" [/Hank Scorpio]

9. Hank_Scorpio

Nicely played, Xan.

And if you could do me a favor and kill some people on your way out, it would really help matters.

10. visitor

visitor New Member

Web-posted Sunday, September 3, 2006
    Veteran sports editor takes on new challenge

By Brad Newman
    brad.newman@amarillo.com

After 17 years as the Amarillo Globe-News sports editor, Jon Mark Beilue will offer a new voice in the newspaper beginning this week.

Beilue leaves his duties in the sports department and will write a column three times a week - Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. It will appear on the Today page.

The longtime Panhandle resident said his column will focus on goings-on in Amarillo and the surrounding area.

"I'll try to give readers a little bit of insight, a little opinion and hopefully some entertainment," Beilue said.

"A good columnist needs to have a feel for his audience," he said. "I think one of the advantages I have is that I'm a part of the audience that I'm trying to reach. Maybe what I find interesting, they will too."

"Jon Mark is an excellent writer who knows this community well," said Les Simpson, publisher of the Globe-News. "I think the newspaper and our readers will be well served by his viewpoints and stories about Amarillo and the Panhandle.

"This is a great step forward for both Jon Mark and the Amarillo Globe-News," Simpson said.

Beilue said he looks forward to digging into the community and writing about issues that affect local people.

"I'm excited about the challenge and the chance to have time to write about certain topics and subjects. I'm looking forward to having the freedom to write what I want or what I think. That's something that a lot of writers would like to have the chance to do," Beilue said.

Executive Editor Dawn Dressler said the column would fulfill a vital role. "A community can see its heart reflected in the words of a skilled columnist like Jon Mark. Some days that will make us proud. Other times, it may make us re-evaluate our choices. But always it will give us something to think about and talk about and a voice that will make the paper a richer experience for readers."

Beilue said he doesn't have a specific agenda for the column, but he is excited about the possibilities.

"This is just going to be work in progress," he said. "We're going to see where it goes."

Beilue began his tenure at the Globe-News in 1981 as a sports writer. He was promoted to assistant sports editor in 1986 and became the sports editor in 1989.

After 25 years writing sports, Beilue said the timing was right for him to switch positions.

Assistant Sports Editor Lance Lahnert will be in charge of the sports department until a new sports editor is named.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Artist/Band: Strait George
    Lyrics for Song: Amarillo By Morning
    Lyrics for Album: Strait From The Heart

Amarillo by mornin' up from San Antone
    They took my saddle in Houston, broke my leg in Sante Fe

Everything that I got is just what I got on
    Lost my wife and a girlfriend somewhere along the way

When that sun is high in that Texas sky
    But I'll be looking for eight when they pull that gate

I'll be buckin at the county fair