1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at the Sporting News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JustSomeDude, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I can vouch for everything Ballscribe says. I worked there at the same time, and though I loved working there, it just wasn't cutting-edge enough for me.

The mantra actually was "See a different game," which we paid some hot-shot marketing company to deliver. I was hoping that once we went color and glossy we could take on Sports Illustrated, but the number of ads didn't leap for a long while, and the content never could compete.

It all starts with great writers telling great stories. SI had their stars, and ESPN the Mag then came in with a bunch more.

Great people, though. Many of the nicest folks I've ever had the pleasure of working with, top to bottom.

2. jaredk

jaredk Member

I could see it as a PEOPLE kind of sports magazine, human interest and all.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There were a lot of great people who worked there and were systematically shitcanned by John Rawlings over a certain period of time. I'm not sure what the overhaul accomplished, because the product didn't get better.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think TSN lost its niche once Dick Young passed on. That was about the time it started going away from what worked for it, trying to widen its scope in an industry where narrowing it seems to work better. I went to college with Mike Nahrstedt; hope he comes/came out OK.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Everyone is focusing on making it a baseball-only paper in a world where BA seems to have that covered.

Doesn't TSN actually do more with the NFL? Last I saw, they still had real NFL correspondents while their baseball team notes were from mlb.com.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Dick Young? Oh, please............Stan Isle was the face of The Sporting News...............

Fast forward to Mike Nahrstedt -- one of the best guys at TSN, as trustworthy and genuine as they come............

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Agreed on Mike N. Quiet, kind, extremely competent, truly nice human being.
    I had almost forgotten about him, because I didn't work with him often.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

if that is so why is rawlings still running it?

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

They definitely need to do something different, to stand out.
    I get 4 magazines - SI, Sporting News, ESPN the Mag, and Rolling Stone.
    I'm perpetually behind in my magazine-reading, but I like to read every one, to make sure i don't miss out on an interesting story.
    Last night, I looked at my stack. I had six Rolling Stones, seven ESPN the Mags, one Sports Illustrated - and 28 Sporting News.
    And I don't think I've missed anything, given recent past experiences.
    I've been a subscriber since 1993, but I think it's about time to end that charade unless things change, and change quickly.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If you canceled Rolling Stone, then Sporting News, I guarantee you won't miss out on any interesting stories.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

my dentist's office cancelled its sporting news.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

i assume my long-time bud, dan pompei, is still their nfl guy, right? i have to assume 'cause it's been ages since i've seen a "sporting news." sad but true. "tsn" hasn't been relevant or cutting age in years. once, it ruled the world for sports geeks such as myself. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted