1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at the Hartford Courant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Jun 23, 2008.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

They have never, ever appreciate Lori Riley for being as good as she is.

Any news about the desk?

2. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I'm glad to hear that.

I've met Lori at a few events in the past and she was a true professional and willing to help out a college student who really didn't know what they were doing at the time.

Honestly she deserves better than the nonsense she (and everyone left at the Courant) are dealing with.

3. TheFurnace

TheFurnace New Member

Hey folks,

Brand new to the site as a poster but a long-time reader. I worked at the Courant for many years and am still somewhat connected to what's going on there. The rumor du jour right now from the inside -- and it's disturbing -- is that ME Bobbie Roessner used these layoffs as the vehicle to rid herself of her critics from inside the newsroom. The firing of Mark Pazniokas, an immensely-talented reporter and vocal critic of Roessner's management style, is considered the smokng gun.

Just in case you guys thought this story couldn't get any worse...

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There used to be a tradition in newsrooms that the folks who were most critical of management often were your most talented and gutsy people. They are what made newsrooms great places to work, and the brass understood that and tolerated, even nurtured, them.

Now, differing with management will get you a one-way ticket to Palookaville.

And we're in a time when management needs differing with like never before. Too many of them just can't handle the truth.

5. Hey, Bobbie?
    "Connecticut-centric" is not a fucking word. It's not even fucking English, you soulless corporate lackey.
    Quit, and go work at your new job, in a tumbledown live-bait shack, surrounded by rotting rowboats, under a bending old willow tree, and stand there for eight hours a day, reeking of stale worm-smell, by the shores of...

[​IMG]

...the great lake of Fail.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, based on a couple of posts here and on the RMN thread, I can only repeat the old cliche: You're beautiful when you're angry.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Awww, shuckins...

Draft saved Draft deleted