1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at the Hartford Courant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Go to the APSE site and compare the openings to the people seeking work. That is depressing.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Staff size is now HALF what it was, not that long ago.

Who's kidding who?

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

OM God, this is like an episode of the Twilight Zone. These editors are buying this crap and thinking it'll work. Moving most of the agate online and not a peep of protest in Ct? My god.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's the easiest solution to rationalize.

Doesn't make it right.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

These guys can't stay out of the news.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When they ("they" being dimwit or money-grubbing publishers) get the number of unemployed journalists to 51 percent of the total U.S. journalist work force, they'll be able to shed the remaining 49 percent and fill their positions, at much lower rates, from the vast pool of traumatized folks who will be desperate and grateful just to be working again. Ya never know, this might be their master plan.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unfortunately, I doubt that's the plan.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I was just kidding.

However ... "Unfortunately"?

If nothing else, they'd be working with newsrooms half their former size. That surely would please some bean counters somewhere.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I must have gotten a defective link. The link I opened had a story about the Harford Courant.
    (Hard to take 'em seriously if they misspell the same of their own city in the first sentence)

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Double down said it all.
    How publishers and owners have allowed this to happen is amazing.
    That Hartford TV ad is beyond juvenile. You'll be able to get your news quicker with a small paper? My god. How fucking stupid do you think people are?
    How about you get half the shit at most you used to get in the paper. But please please buy it, you'll love it.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Here's what's up with Sports:

Bob "Soupy" Campbell - gone
    Matt Eagan - gone
    Lori Riley - gone
    Jerry Mcguire - went to 32 hours.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm told by an extremely reliable source that Lori Riley was NOT let go today, and was asked to pass that along.

Draft saved Draft deleted