1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at the Hartford Courant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Jun 23, 2008.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, some of it is so stupid, the way they put things. I know we've heard it before.

In the TV segment on the redesign, the anchor actually says, "The weekday paper is going to have a lot fewer pages, so people can get their news quickly."

He says this with a straight face, as if everybody's just going to say, "Oh, sure, good idea."

Sheesh.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That TV story was shilling so much for the paper and the new look that I think they should have disclosed that they are both owned by Tribune.

4. i took one look at that front page, and i wanted to puke.

i actually was considering subscribing to the courant, pending on how hideous the redesign was, but i'm definitely not now.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did you know it's the first time ever the masthead has been on the left?

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Not just animal-killers, but cyclists, hikers and other outdoors people typically do not sleep in and get started in the middle of the day.

That's why any kind of recreation or outdoors column pointing toward the weekend should be published midweek or on Friday, at the latest.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, of course, should have mentioned that.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

If newspapers ever start charging for content, it'll be a lot like the death of [free]Napster and the rise of iTunes. People used to getting shit for free will bitch and bitch and bitch and swear to God they'd never pay for anything online. And then they'll realize they can't get good, solid, day-to-day Red Sox coverage anywhere else and subscribe.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn is it ever gonna stop?
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003944795

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The number of jobs cut this week outnumber the total job openings listed under "newspapers" at journalismjobs.com, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted