1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's been interesting noting the changes in SI since Paul Fichtenbaum took over from Terry McDonnell.

Other than a few notable errors (Baylor unis/graphics issues/stating that Sanchez and Romo hadn't won playoff games), the biggest thing I've noticed is an inclination to not featuring the "news of the week" on the cover and go with something else (Goodell this week, Michael at 50, Spring Football). Hockey seems to have been banished and even nuts and bolts coverage of college hoops seems to have taken a back seat. The NASCAR preview was three pages in Scorecard when in previous years it had a feature, maybe two and a 4-5 page breakdown of Chase contenders.

Don't know if the coverage changes are due more to economic factors or just a general change of editorial philosophy.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's been February, by far the slowest month on the sports calendar, so I wouldn't call that a trend until it continues into events season -- like the NCAA tournament coming up.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm sure a big part of it is just that every new editor in the magazine's history puts his own spin on it (see: MacCamridge's awesome book on SI).

But the economic side...

Time is now looking to get rid of SI, Time, Fortune and Money.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The one thing that got me was the big WTF about a cover and an entire issue of ... spring football?
  5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

No coverage of the Daytona 500 at all.
  6. Roscablo

Roscablo Member

That was weird. And the false NCAA tourney cover, the one they've done for years, made it confusing. I guess they are trying to get creative and appeal to new people or something.

I still think the content is good, but it is disappearing at a significant rate. I almost would have bought it for the scorecard stuff alone and the notes on the different in-season sports 10 years ago. Now that's down to nothing. Sometimes you get three solid features, sometimes one. The full Jordan issue is too much. I know what Jordan did, if I don't want to read it that's automatically a throw away issue.

I still think the content is good enough for $30 or $40 a year plus the digital issue on the tablet, but it's getting close to me not caring about what's in it.
  7. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

None? I don't get SI anymore but have in the past and always enjoyed their racing coverage. To not cover the Daytona 500 is surprising.
  8. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Kind of nice to get this thread and see it's not about someone losing their job.
  9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I 've noticed that the last 3 issues have been razor thin with only 10 -12 full page ads.

Issue with Braxton Miller on cover might have been the worst ever as far as content.

The ship be sinking.
  10. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Time Warner spinning off its Time Inc. magazine group:

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's also a product of February. It's a dead time of the year for advertising. That's why SI invented the swimsuit issue long ago.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which means cuts and cutbacks are a-comin' at SI.
Draft saved Draft deleted